Question about a possible job opportunity to check on elderly at their homes.

I don't know the correct way to explain or ask this question.
What would the title of the person checking in on elderly people be called?

I would like to help families which have elderly people living with them by making scheduled visits to check on them from time to time. It can be a few times each week, once a week, every other week, once a month, and so on. Whatever helps them. What title could I use for this?

I would also consider shopping for the families when they don't have time, pick up prescriptions, run errands, maybe take the elderly man or woman to get his or her hair cut, and much more. What title could I use for these too?

As far as the legalities I have that covered. Notary, bond, insurance when I decide on a title or name, and more.

I appreciate your help.

Have a great day everyone!

SarahFarah

Asked by SarahFarah at 8:37 PM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Money & Work

• Elder care. It is fine to say "elder" if that is what you mean. There is an agency here called "Elder's helpers" that does just what you're talking about.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:24 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• i know them as nurse aids. i meet someone who does that and the only thing she won't do is give them their shots or meds. the nurse comes in and does that. but i've also heard them called family aides before too.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 8:40 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Read about Home Care Providers

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 9:15 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Until I became a foster mom, I had my own business. I did everything for them that they needed help with except for medical care because I was not trained in this. I always called myself a "non-medical in-home caregiver". I would help seniors with "daily living activities". I did everything from cleaning, cooking , shopping, taking them to doctor appointments, etc. I really enjoyed it but my heart I was really being pulled to helping children.
    BetterWithAge

Answer by BetterWithAge at 10:02 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Wow! Thanks for the help! Each of you have given me insight with a "title". I must add that I would not be there all day long as a nurses aide might be. I would be more of a drop by, visit, see if they need anything, and go to the next person. Maybe these families work really long days and just aren't able to stop by to see how they are doing themselves. Sort of like "Pet-sitting" but for people.  LOL! I would probably make more than one visit to each person throughout the day however. I think it would be a great opportunity for the families and myself since I wouldn't charge a huge fee. Actually it would be a very modest fee to help them out. I'd make a living but not break their pocket book. See?  Thanks!

SarahFarah

Comment by SarahFarah (original poster) at 12:15 AM on Jul. 14, 2011

• I have often thought of doing that type of work.
    mollgirl59

Answer by mollgirl59 at 7:01 AM on Jul. 14, 2011

• I believe it would be a great opportunity. You should look into it.

SarahFarah

Comment by SarahFarah (original poster) at 1:31 PM on Jul. 14, 2011