What does behavioral therapy consist of?

my ds (3.5) went to his doc apointment today and the doc saw how hyper he is and suggested eather meds or behavioral therapy. does it help out a lot and what does the therapist do with the child?

dreamangel06

Asked by dreamangel06 at 8:37 PM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I would hold on the meds.

A behavioral therapist will teach him how to remain calm, focus, and also work with you to help you learn how to help him. He is WAY tooo young for meds . . . .

But, behavioral therpay is amazing. Anyone can benefit.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 9:06 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Behavioral therapy is where a counselor gives the person skills to change behavior, to make the behaviors better. Helps the person to make better choices. At 3.5 it will consist of play therapy. It is amazing to see the changes kids can go through with behavioral therapy. Hold off on the meds, you child is way to young.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:08 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• my dh and i decided a while ago that we wouldnt put him on meds. a lot of the docs want to drug up kids when they dont even know how it will effect them when they are older. we have been trying to cut out sugars, dyes, ect. its hard to do though i am not used to doing it yet lol. he also might have ocd, but none of the docs have said anything about that yet.
    dreamangel06

Comment by dreamangel06 (original poster) at 10:26 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• My son has a behavior specialist, a mobile therapist, and a TSS. It's pretty much play therapy, redirection, and working with him on focusing, and appropriate socialization. My son is 5. He's not on any medication. It's not really recommended for children under 7 and I wanted to try everything else first.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 10:48 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Oh man, he is a 3 1/2 year old boy!!! He is not suposed to be able to sit still for more than 2 minutes! I hate when doctors forget that kids need to be kids and not mini adults. Meds?? that right there, would make me find a new doctor, as any that suggest them for such a young kid knows nothing. I would go on the route you are, the no process foods/food colorings( and everything seems to have color in it, its amazing, and gross) Natural, real foods. I have heard this helps greatly. Good luck.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 10:13 AM on Jul. 14, 2011

• @minimo77 i have seen a lot of young children who are about my ds age that are able to at least sit for 10 mins or longer and watch a movie or have a book read to them. even when my ds is sitting sill, he will be doing something, picking at his skin, messing with his fingers, ect. he has a very difficult time settling down for a nap or bed time. yesterday he was up for 14hrs....he didn stop moving the whole time!
    dreamangel06

Comment by dreamangel06 (original poster) at 12:56 PM on Jul. 14, 2011