Is it to soon to tell if my son is color blind?

My son is 2 1/2 tomorrow. He knows his whole alphabet, shapes, numbers to 10, but he never gets his colors right. We haven't forced any of this on him. His older sister (7) likes to teach him. Everything is "red". Or he's memorized it from past questions. We tried many books, but his guesses are right only 10% of the time. I just remember with his sister colors were the first thing she told me. Can the doctor tell? Is it to soon?

hippiemom04

Asked by hippiemom04 at 8:55 PM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• they can do an eye test but not all kids grasp colours at a young age boy take longer to learn things like taht but tend to be physicaly better at thing than girls
    feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 9:05 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Take her to the hospital
    babymom454

Answer by babymom454 at 9:09 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• my youngest really didn't pay attention to her colors until she was three. each child is different, i wouldn't put to much on it until he starts preschool and they make a comment about it. but if your worried, talk to an eye doctor and get his opinion. i have all girls so i don't know much about boys. but my oldest was reading at four years and my youngest is almost five and she still can't read. i hope this helps.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 9:13 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• For about a year my DD called everything green. I don't think it is an issue at this point. She also got brown and purple backwards until just a few weeks ago. It is difficult to determine color blindness at such a young age. I would ride it out and see what happens over the next year or so.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:24 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• there are tests available so if you are concerned you can bring it up at his next well visit..

babymom454 what the heck is the hospital going to do?? Seriously!

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:24 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Thanks for the info! I work with two men that are color blind and they said 1 out of 12 men are color blind. It was just a thought. I'll just let him be a 2 year old and worry about it later. We have bigger issues of not eating to deal with right now. THANKS!
    hippiemom04

Comment by hippiemom04 (original poster) at 9:24 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• My SO is color blind. Get some primary color cards or papers. Have him sort them out into what looks the same and which are different. If he tend to put them into wrong piles, there is a chance that he could be color blind. It isn't that bad if he is- he will adjust and will have a learned response to differentiate colors.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 9:27 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• My son took forever to understand that there were different colors. For the longest time, everything was "yellow".

And I'm pretty sure it's hereditary. Is anyone in your family colorblind? If not, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 9:28 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• My husband is color blind and nobody knew til he was older. There are tests that the eye dr. can do but his age it may not help. You are right, let him be a 2 year old, even if he is color bling.....you can't do anything about it anyway and stressing won't do any good. Good luck!
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 9:29 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• not eatting my 2 year old the same boys!!! lol
    Anonymous