Should I...or shouldn't I?

I'm feeling torn.
I want to go to school and do what is required to become a doctor. I'm 31, 3 kids ranging in ages 9yrs old to 6months old...I'm a stay at home wife and mom and I do homeschooling and will do so at least until kids get to the 'high school' level..then we'll decide if they should go to a public school. Putting my relationship with God and my family/kids is key and I don't want to do anything that would jeopardize that.

Well, I know I will probably need to start from 'scratch' when it comes to pursuing my education and medical career but I'm trying to figure if it's 'worth it' or not! I have old school debt from when I went to college before...hubby has debt...he's the only one working and I would feel awful for putting yet another debt on his shoulders...so what do you ladies suggest? What would you do if you were in my shoes?

Side Note: hubby is very supportive of me pursuing my dreams...he knows that I want to become a doctor with hopes of returning to the days of 'house calls', he also knows I want to be a doctor that will use the barter system, and he knows that I won't plan to make a lot of money...yet, he's still okay with it...

HappyHmsklNapps

Asked by HappyHmsklNapps at 9:39 PM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Money & Work

• I have heard how much time it takes to become a doctor. It is very time consuming. I guess anything is possible. But all that stuff you refuse to give up in your life now might have to taake a back burner to becoming a doctor.

Answer by louise2 at 9:44 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Go for it!!! I am going tomorrow and talk with a councilor about my options.  I want to be a nurse.  I am 32 with two girls who are 9 and 10.  The time is now.  Just do it.

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 9:47 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Why not shoot for a nurse practitioner? I know it isn't officially a "doctors" degree, but you could do practically everything a doctor making house calls could do...??
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 9:50 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• It's a tough one. Doesn't home schooling require a pretty intense schedule, i.e. prepping the lessons, reading ahead, etc.? If medicine is your passion, I would go for it. It's not a selfish thing to do. If you are happy, it'll be reflected in the relationship you have with your family. I would just stretch out the education over a longer period of time. say it takes someone single, childless, in their early 20's 4 years to finish, does the school allow you to stretch it out to 6-7 years? If money is an issue, would you be willing to consider RN who generally could be doing the same thing as a doctor? . I think it's wonderful, just be prepared to have a very demanding and exhausting schedule for a few years. Good luck!
    Olivia4116

Answer by Olivia4116 at 9:52 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• It's a hard call. If you make becoming a doctor a priority, the homeschooling will have to end. If you keep homeschooling, you can't possibly succeed in med school. I homeschooled my kids, and know how time-demanding it can be. It is a way of life, not a couple of hours a day. I don't believe you can do both. That's not to say that you shouldn't pursue medicine. I think you just seriously have to make a choice of one or the other because you can't do them both and do them well. Quitting homeschooling is not the end of the world, either. There are some great public schools and private schools, and maybe you can even pay a friend or relative to home-school your family. You'll just have to decide which is the path that you feel God is calling you to travel? You will know in your heart which is right, as you will feel at peace with it.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 9:52 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• i didn't know that a nurse practitioner could also make house calls and such...wow! i'm gonna have to look into that! thank you ladies, you have all been very helpful!
    HappyHmsklNapps

Comment by HappyHmsklNapps (original poster) at 10:34 PM on Jul. 13, 2011