How do you make homemade pickles?

we just started a garden this year that has susumbers in it and I love cucumbers with ranch dressing, but the kids and dh don't like cucumbers, but dh likes pickles and the girls love pickles. So I thought since there is no way I am going to be able to eat all of them myself I thought to make some homemade pickles and can them. Well every recipe I looked online says to use onion and green peper. The thing is I don't like onion or green or any kind of peppers is there another way to make pickles? How do you make them? Also how long will they last in the fridge for?

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 9:50 PM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Keep looking up recipies. You can make them any way you want. You can use dill, vinegar and garlic instead of onions adn you don't need peppers. You can also make refrigerator pickles which don't keep as long. google pickle recipies until you find one you like. What you need is a starter kit for canning. Have fun !!
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 9:56 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I've never seen a pickle recipe with onions & peppers, wierd. Go to the grocery store or Wal-Mart, get an envelope of pickle making mix, and follow the instructionso n the packet. When properly canned, they'll last almost indefinitely on the shelf, and once opened, they'll last in the fridge just like store-bought pickles.
    Anonymous

• pickyourown.org is a sensational site for canning & pickling info.
    Anonymous

• If you're on facebook there is a group called canning and they have so many recipes and ideas. one of my favorite groups!
    I also recommend purchasing the Ball Blue Book and a canning kit!
    LunaB

Answer by LunaB at 11:58 PM on Jul. 13, 2011