How long should couples be together before marriage

What do you ladies think how long should couples be together before getting married? Just curious on what others think

lorettalw

Asked by lorettalw at 10:44 PM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Relationships

• I think however long they want :) My sister got engaged after 2 weeks, and married within the year. I have been dating my man for 4 years, we are expecting our first child...and have no plans to get married anytime soon. I think different things work for different people :)
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 10:45 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• As long as they both feel is necassary to decide they are compatible enough. I spent 4 years with a man who suddenly decided I wasn't compatible with him and then was with my husband for about 6 months before we "knew" it was right. 9 years and two kids later and we are still happily married.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:46 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• There isn't a time frame. I know people that married within 3 months of meeting and they have been married for 40 years. I know people who waited a couple of years to get married and divorced after a year.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:46 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Depends on the couple, but personally I think at least 1 year.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 10:47 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I don't know that there is a good amount of time as a blanket statement.

for instance, I was with 1st husband for 1.5 years before we married and it lasted 23 months
    I was with 2nd husband for 4 years and it lasted only another 3.5
    3rd husband, I have known for 16 years...best friends for 8, dating for 18 months and we married a month ago. I am closer to him than any of them.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:48 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• It really depends on the couple and their relationship. My grandparents got engaged on the first date and were married 6 weeks later. My in-laws were together for maybe 6 months before marrying. DH and I knew we would get married by 2 months, got engaged at 4.5 months and married at 15 months. It would have been sooner but we wanted his family there and they live overseas - getting 10 of them there in the time we had was hard enough. I couldn't imagine if we had wanted to get married any sooner.

My grandparents were married for 51 yrs. The in-laws were just shy of 57 yrs., and DH and I will be 17 yrs. on the 31st.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:50 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• The younger you are, the longer you should wait, imho. So many young people get married for the wrong reasons, especially hormones and financial stability. Infatuation is mistaken for true love. So many people claim their first divorce was because they married too young.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:55 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Wow great stories
    lorettalw

Comment by lorettalw (original poster) at 11:01 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I really think at least 2 years but it really depends I know a woman who waited 5 yrs and things changed very quikly once they were married. for me this 2nd time around I waited exactly 1 yr and I should have spent more time with his family because I can't stand his family, to immoral and cuss constantly...I should have spent time with them or I would not have brought a child into that mess.
    Anonymous

• In my opinion, I think a year is a decent amount of time to see both good and not so good sides of a person. The infatuation period has passed and you are more realistic with each other.
    kathyartist2007

Answer by kathyartist2007 at 11:10 PM on Jul. 13, 2011