I feel that the media these days glorifies making out, and dating at such a young age! I feel that our society exposes our children to to much way to soon! any thoughts on this?

JLMOM3BOYS

Asked by JLMOM3BOYS at 11:15 PM on Jul. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• I've always felt that way, even as a preteen. But sex, drugs and "danger" sells, so that's what they use....whether it's music, tv, or products/services.
    BeachyBabe

Answer by BeachyBabe at 11:17 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I agree and you know what we do? We turn off the tube and go out and do something else.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:20 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• It is so frustrating! I just want to raise our 3 sons into decent men ! But even children shows on Nick, Disney etc.. all have that life is about dating,kissing etc... !
    JLMOM3BOYS

Comment by JLMOM3BOYS (original poster) at 11:20 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• "I agree.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:25 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• TV is TV its all what you tell them when they see having real discussions and explaining to them why its just TV and how real life is about more then that. My kids watched all that stuff and I always explained to them after or during how it really was I never pulled any punches and explained why they had to be responsible for what they did in reality. I started talking to them about themselves and their own body worked our way up to dating and after sex and how its not just sex its reality and one minute of good or bad sex could be 18 years of responsibility. Those moments are teaching moments always use them to make a point and if questions are asked answer them at a level they understand and keep talking about it.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:31 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I try to steer my kids away from those 'tween' shows that discuss dating and things like that. I'm good if they want to watch cartoons a little longer. My older dd is seven and a lot of her friends are into those kinds of shows, which celebs they think are hot, etc. I would rather her not worry about that stuff at age seven! Fortunately she does not seem to feel she is missing anything by not watching those shows and has yet to tell me she's in love with Justin Bieber... hopefully it stays like that for awhile longer!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:12 AM on Jul. 14, 2011

• i agree. i think that we as the parents need to take a step back, look at the big picture and then refocus our energies to not only serving God, but raising babies that will see examples of serving God, then do so themselves. in doing so, we will keep their minds off dating/sex/making out...etc. i'm not suggesting that the thoughts and feelings won't come up, i'm just saying that the energy needs to be put into something better suited for children. if they had other more PRODUCTIVE things to focus on and spend their time on, sex/dating and such may not seem so important.
    HappyHmsklNapps

Answer by HappyHmsklNapps at 5:01 AM on Jul. 14, 2011