Do you know the difference between...?

....Fact, Opinion, Evidence and Theory?

Just curious since I have read numerous answers where members assume their opinion is fact because they believe it without any evidence to support it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:56 PM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Fact: is something a person on CM makes up and crawls the entire web until they find a link that backs them up.

Evidence: is personal experience, the commenter's personal experience, as used to refute the personal experience of another in order to prove one's point and be considered smarter and better than the other.

Opinion: is something a person on CM uses to belittle the parenting or thoughts of another member of CM in order to make sure that they are seen as correct.

Theory: is an idea posted by someone on CM after they have watched a snippet on YouTube, and then it become incumbent upon the disagreeing party to prove that they are incorrect, but before you can complete the thought they delete the question or post or lock them so that they can continue to be correct without fault.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• fact and evidence are proven.

opinion is something you come up with but have proof of

theories are right until proven wrong (well, at least in math and science such as the Pathagorean Theory for triangles)
    Anonymous

• Facts, you can prove
    Opinion's are like A-hole's
    Theories are (imo) an educated opinion that could still be proven wrong.

myame

Answer by myame at 9:04 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Opinion is just one’s judgment or view, Theories are policy or procedure, Facts have actually be done and there is documentation/evidence to support the fact.

But I agree, there are many out there who their their opinions are fact and lack the evidence to support their claim. I don't know if they are wanting, so much, to be accurate or if they really think their opinions are fact.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:12 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• pardon my typos tonight. I am getting ready to have Lasik and have to wear my glasses from 3 years ago... grrrrrrrr
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:21 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Fact: something that we KNOW to be true and we can prove it
    Evidence: tangible things used to prove a fact
    Opinion: what some people believe, often in direct contrast to FACT, and take as truth
    Theory: an accepted group of facts or evidence that serves as a working model or idea
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 9:24 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Some women in CM when you give them facts they still don't want to believe the facts.
    grlygrlz2 you are one of them.You don't like when others don't agree with you.It's only your way or not at all.
    Anonymous

• lol.. Anon, ok.. If you say so... I can only think of a few times where someone gave a "link" I didn't agree with and I laughed it off. I didn't argue it, just "lol'd it"... I ask a lot of questions of people. I didn't think that was wrong, but perhaps you do.. Its ALL Good.
    I try to provide links to support my opinions and theories. But you are free to interpret as you wish...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:35 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Do you know the difference between asking a question and posting for the purpose of stirring up drama? Apparently not.
    Anonymous

• What I love the most is when a member of CM attacks on posts and then recruits her friends to join. Or "subtle opinions" from a friend of someone you were debating with, therefore, you know they were cyber-plotting or cyber-gossiping behind your back. ahhh....girls. gotta love em.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Dec. 18, 2008