How can I get my 22 month old to eat?

She seems to be REALLY picky about what she wants to eat all of a sudden. I'm worried that she's going to lose weight and mess up her growth. I'm tired of sending her to bed without dinner cause she decides to toss her food on the ground. I can't keep giving her milk only for dinner- and she doesn't always want milk either!? And I don;t want to give in and get fast food or microwavable meals.

Sophias_Mommy

Asked by Sophias_Mommy at 9:01 PM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just keep offering it to her, and don't get too worried unless you actually start to see that she is losing weight. But even then, it is normal for her to lost a little weight, then gain a little back. My daughter does it all of the time, and she is perfectly healthy! She will eat when she is hungry. If it keeps up for too long and you are still concerned about it just talk to her doctor. Hope that helps!
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 9:20 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• my son (23 months) is not picky, he just never wants to sit and eat. whenever i sit him in his high chair, he eats for a few minutes and then wants out. he just wants to run around and reak havoc. lol my doctor recommended i give him poly-vi-sol everyday. that way he still gets the vitamins and nourishment he needs. he hates the taste so i put it in his juice so he still gets the proper nutrition he needs whether he wants to eat or not. it's only about 7 dollars at cvs, you might want to try it. hope this helps, all kids go through this at her age.
    lilmama22806

Answer by lilmama22806 at 10:15 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• is she on vitamins? when dd went in for her 18 months check up the ped said to make sure she got vitamins because at this age they get very finicky about eating.
    CAarmywife

Answer by CAarmywife at 11:20 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• They won't starve themselves. My 2 1/2 y/o will eat all day one day if i let her and then only take a couple of bites the next day or so. She is also on vitamins and keeps well hydrated so as long as you do that and only offer nutritional meals and/or snacks she'll be fine.
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 12:37 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Thank you everyone. I just started the vitamins and occasionally give her ensure for kids. I know she won't starve herself... I just feel like such a bad mom when she doesn't eat.
    Sophias_Mommy

Answer by Sophias_Mommy at 1:24 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Hey hun! I know how you feel!! one day Sailor will eat anything, and the next day shes gagging and saying NO! I put supements in her milk or juice during the day, like vitamin C, Probiotics, etc... I also make smoothies in the morn with fruit, milk, protien powder and some other supplements and she loooves that!! Also Annie's brand makes Organic Mac N Cheese and i put broccolli or othr veggies in it, and she will eat that.... good luck!! she wont starve herself!
    Candice_c3

Answer by Candice_c3 at 3:24 AM on Dec. 18, 2008