How old were your kids before you gave them daily chores?

Amr515

Asked by Amr515 at 11:53 PM on Jul. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• My kids start basic things like picking up their own toys (with help of course) as soon as they are able - about 18 months or so... They have "daily household chores" around 3 or 4 depending on the child and their abilities.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:59 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• My little girl is three and she has some chores that she does daily, but mostly it's helping me. She helps me carry feed buckets and she brushes the horses and feeds the dogs and cat and helps feed the horses. She pretty much helps in some way with whatever I'm doing.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 11:55 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• My kids have to clean their own rooms, and pick up their toys. Clear their dish from the table at meals. Simple stuff.
    PrdMilWife

Answer by PrdMilWife at 12:51 AM on Jul. 14, 2011

• When my daughter was 2 we started letting her help us pick up stuff around the house. When she turned 4, I made a simple chart with pictures of daily chores and divided the chart into boxes for each chore type:
    1. Getting up: tootbrush, clothes, potty
    2. Pets: water, food bowl
    3. Cleaning up before bedtime: dolls, blocks, trucks, books
    We would put a smiley face in the boxes for each day she did those chores. Now that she's 6, we've expanded on the chart and put words instead of pictures and have attached an allowance to the completion of chores.
    ncbeachmommy

Answer by ncbeachmommy at 3:33 AM on Jul. 14, 2011