Dealing with CPS.........a little long

My brother lives down in FL and he and his g/f has had their 1 yr old son taken away by CPS last month. They had a guy they knew stay a few days while his new place was getting ready. One day this guy comes back to get his stuff and nobody was home at the time, so he decided to take a few other items. My bro';s g/f came home early and caught him, and he beat her up, fractured her arm and bruises all over her. They guy is lucky my bro wasn't there or there would have been a different story. She pressed charges and then found out he took her gun and reported that and now they guy is in jail. The guy's g/f got PISSED! So she got even and called CPS. She claimed my brother was neglecting his son, doing drugs like meth, coke etc.....drinking all the time.....My bro smokes pot and thats it. The CPS agent came to the house and saw alcohol bottles lining the wall., My brother collects rare bottles from all over the US and so yes there were a few alcohol bottles on the wall. So now CPS wants both of them to attend all these classes. Well my brother's g/f left last week to move back with her parents and saying she wants to sign away her parental rights. How will this affect this case with CPS and my brother? They only get an hour 1/2 a few days a week. When my bro's ds got taken, they put him in foster care and found these people were not taking care of their baby very well. So somehow, my brother managed to get his son into the custody of his boss at his work (they are good friends) so that is good news. But I am wondering, will it be harder for my brother to regain custody of his son since his g/f decided to be a dead beat mom and left at the 1st sign of trouble?? He is jumping thru all the hoops without argument, although he did get a lawyer cause he thinks the CPS agent went overboard and took his son away without investigating thoughly first. So his g/f has not attended any of these classes but he has. What are his chances of regaining custody?
He is an excellent father, I am sooooo proud of him for stepping up to the plate and being such a wonder father. I just CPS thinks so.

PS..I think this might be a backlash of the Casey Anthony case cause I know they dropped the ball with her too....

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:03 AM on Jul. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• Getting the lawyer was a smart move. I agree that it's suspicious that they are making him go to these classes without making him get a blood test to test for drugs and alcohol level. He would have to approach explaining the mom's decision as separate from his own and suggest that she doesn't understand the process. I would also talk to the lawyer about having the past incident with the assault being admissible to prove intent of the accusers to get revenge and also to disprove their character. CPS has to investigate any claim of abuse even if it's found to be really false later on. He should try to convince the mom not to give up rights as it looks better to have them both fight for their son but it wont necessarily hurt them if she doesn't. There has to be clear evidence of the abuse and who did it for them to convict. Once he finishes the classes & shows he has rehabilitated, I don't see why he wouldnt get his son back
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 12:28 AM on Jul. 14, 2011

• Honestly, as long as he keeps up his end of the bargain, his chances of getting custody are pretty good. He just needs to be truthful.
    ta2dirishlass

Answer by ta2dirishlass at 12:10 AM on Jul. 14, 2011

• He shouldn't have a problem getting custody however he may need to box up his collection. Hope it all works out.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 12:12 AM on Jul. 14, 2011

• if he does what he is supposed to and she signs all her rights off, their should be no reason he wont get his DS back... But he has to do everything they say. which doesnt sound like it would be hard for him. I wish him good luck and best wishes :D
    cassncalise05

Answer by cassncalise05 at 12:14 AM on Jul. 14, 2011

• He should get his son back. CPS took him illegally. Hopefuly the lawyer can fix it up fast. Just because your brother has empty alcohol bottles does not mean he has a problem. If that was the only grounds it was not enough evidence to hold in court.
    PrdMilWife

Answer by PrdMilWife at 12:48 AM on Jul. 14, 2011

• my brother does smoke pot. But he has NEVER smoked it in the house and he allowes no smoking cigs in the house either. They did piss test him and he showed postive for opiate based meds he got from his doc cause he had hand surgery for the 3rd time. So he had a prescription for it, so I do not know the hell CPS was so damned concerned about!!!
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 1:51 AM on Jul. 14, 2011

• ditto on what the first two mom's said.
    HappyHmsklNapps

Answer by HappyHmsklNapps at 4:51 AM on Jul. 14, 2011

• What a mess. I hope your brother gets his son back, and (sorry) I think his gf is a terrible person for just wanting to sign her rights to her child away :(
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:01 AM on Jul. 14, 2011

• I hope you dont mind but I wrote you message.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 1:43 PM on Jul. 14, 2011