Why is it that...

people are so against homeschooling?

HappyHmsklNapps

Asked by HappyHmsklNapps at 12:13 AM on Jul. 14, 2011 in

• The main reason is because it is so unregulated. Anybody can home-school their child(ren) even if they are not fully qualified or actually do the homeschooling that they should. This in turn gives that people who do an excellent job of homeschooling a bad name.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:21 AM on Jul. 14, 2011

• Im against it for my kids cause i couldn't stay focused enough to give them their studies, and i would be worried im not teaching them enough. beside at public school my kids get to socialize.
    i give kudos to those who do home school though.
    GypsyMoon605

Answer by GypsyMoon605 at 12:33 AM on Jul. 14, 2011

• My thoughts are I didn't go to school to become a teacher so how can I teach my children all subjects they need to learn. Also what about the social interaction with their peers? I feel there is more to school than just the subjects they teach. I'm thankful that my children learn to interact with other adults as well. I am thankful for teachers!
    Amr515

Answer by Amr515 at 12:37 AM on Jul. 14, 2011

• The ONLY ONE thing that bothers me is the fact that anyone can homeschool. There are plenty of intelligent parents out there who do a tremendous job homeschooling but there are some out there who they themselves did very poorly in school and are now teaching their kids. I mean if you yourself do not know all of the facts about something or do not have a good grasp why would you trust yourself to teach your kids? I have a BA in United States History which is more education that some of the homeschooling parents I have met...no way in hell would I trust myself to teach my kid Algebra...I didn't need it for my degree and lord knows I could never pass an Algebra class. If my life depended on me passing Algebra, I'd just start planning my funeral.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 3:28 PM on Jul. 14, 2011

• I am against it because I am NOT a teacher and am NOT qualified to teach my child. Also, many people use homeschooling as an excuse to not send their kids to school. I know a family that stopped homeschooling their kids at 14 because the mom dropped out of school herself in 9th grade and didn't know enough to teach her kids. They can't write or read and she is not sending them to regular school because he "religion" tells her that schools are evil.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:49 PM on Jul. 14, 2011

• Because people haven't researched for themselves to see what it's about, or how things have changed in recent years. Rules and regulations vary state to state. They just assume how things are without ever experiencing it.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 10:47 AM on Jul. 15, 2011

• They re scared of someone doing something outside the norm?
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 10:49 AM on Jul. 15, 2011

• I'm a homeschooler and I can tell you that in the state I live in PA, we have the strictest homeschooling laws in the whole country. It is most certainly NOT unregulated!! As far as me not being a teacher, I also am not a nutritionist or a chef, but I cook for my family. I'm not a fashion designer, but I dressed my children when they were younger. I taught them how to eat from a spoon, go pee in the potty and their ABC's and how to count. Why should I stop teaching my children because society tells me the thing to do is to send them off to school for 7 plus hours a day at age 5?

People are against homeschooling because they are uninformed and uneducated about it. They are also against it because it is different. People are against anything that goes against the grain of societal norms.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 10:53 AM on Jul. 15, 2011

• The socialization argument is totally unfounded and untrue, so please, let's not even bring that up!!! My "unsocialized" homeschoolers have friends of all ages and types; they aren't held back by the public school mindset that all of your friends have to be the same age as you. Besides, when I was in school, all I ever heard from my teachers was "You're here to learn, not socialize!!"
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 10:56 AM on Jul. 15, 2011

Next question in
Question about scholarships....

Next question overall (Toddlers (1-2))
Dentists?