Banning Kids - Discriminatory or Smart?

What do you think? Some restaurants are banning children under six. While it has boosted business, some parents complain that it is discriminatory.

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/parenting/restaurant-bans-kids-under-6-discrimination-or-smart-move-2509487

I can see both sides. I hate to eat in a restaurant when someone's child is screaming. How rude! I seldom eat out, and when I do, I want to enjoy it. But who can, when a two year old is screaming on that one pitch that is guaranteed to irritate you the most? If parents were considerate, and didn't take children out in public who were rude and noisy, then these laws wouldn't have to be made! But then, it's hard enough to be a parent with a young child, without having the world against you.

LoreleiSieja

Asked by LoreleiSieja at 12:22 AM on Jul. 14, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Well, for one, it is NOT a law, nor is it becoming one. ONE business is choosing to not allow children under 6 in their restaurant. It is their right to do so. I really don't understand why this is making such a stir.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:29 AM on Jul. 14, 2011

• I have one child that's five and one on the way. I'd love to go somewhere with dh or friends where i dont have to listen to kids scream when i just left mine behind. I love my kids and its not all places so its fine to me.
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 12:25 AM on Jul. 14, 2011

• Don't care either way. We avoid fast food and chain restaurants that cater to families. We go to fine dining places that don't have childrens menus on a date night. They don't ban children but they don't cater to them so if a parent takes a child they should be willing to shell out 40 bucks for a meal for that child. The world doesn't revolve around our children some need to realize that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Jul. 14, 2011

• I kinda understand where they are coming from. Sometimes people want to have date night and get away from screaming kids. I just tonight had date night with my boyfriend we sat at a restaurant and the kid in the booth behind us stood up and started playing with my hair. Then went to SCREAMING at the top of his lungs for the entire time we were there. I couldn't even enjoy date night after I paid a babysitter. So honestly I would love to have a place to go where I was ensured a screaming kid free place where I could have an enjoyable dinner.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 12:33 AM on Jul. 14, 2011

• it depends on the child. like my 11 month old just sits at her high chair and smiles, she gets her food and feeds herself. perfectly ideal child to take out. i think parents should know if their child is a terror and not take them out
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 12:26 AM on Jul. 14, 2011

• I think it's fine. Some places are not ment for kids. The area in question has many restraunts. In general one Or a few usually ruin it for all
    Amr515

Answer by Amr515 at 12:32 AM on Jul. 14, 2011

• That's the problem DIaneMary - the places instituting this DO NOT cater to young kids. In fact, the restaurant in the article that set off these flurry of CM posts about such bans has never had a children's menu offered. This particular place is the "casual fine dining" 19th hole at a golf course. It is not designed to be kid friendly or family focused YET they have had too many instances of families with young, unhappy, disruptive children raising the ire of other customers who register complaints with management.

The ban is in place because even if an establishment does NOT cater to young kids, people still bring their young kids with them.

These bans are within a particular genre of restaurant - typically fine dining. I don't know many teens that afford that upscale pricing. ;) I also know teens, while capable of being PIA, have the ability to not tantrum, rock my seat while pounding theirs or other such stuff.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 7:01 AM on Jul. 14, 2011

• I am fine with the ban.

As a responsible parent I recognize there are places my kids are not well suited for and no matter how much I want to see that R rated movie or eat at that fancy place, I don't if I don't have a sitter. I recognize that not everyone is willing to give up their 'grown-up' experience if they don't have a sitter so they'll happily bring along their children because there's no reason they (the adult) should sacrifice their wants just because they have a kid. I recognize that some people don't understand there are age appropriate expectations and expecting a young child to sit quietly and politely at a fine dining establishment is probably not an age appropriate expectation. Our family didn't eat out at places with menus until our kids were old enough to handle sitting at a table without issue. We tend to stick to places with crayons and a kids menu now and will until they're old enough to not need it.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 7:06 AM on Jul. 14, 2011

• I don't think this should be a law. I think most parents should be smart enough to know when their child gets fussy, or even they are out and their child starts acting out they should have the common sense and decency to ask for their food to go. We bring our daughter with us all the time, the only time she ever gets fussy is when it's her time to eat, and then once she gets her food she is completely happy (she is 9 months). She loves to be out in public actually.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 12:26 AM on Jul. 14, 2011

• I would never go to a restaurant that banned certain ages. I have seen worse teenagers then toddlers at restaurants. If I am paying for a service, I want it for myself and anyone I bring with me. If you teach your children how to behave in public then it shouldn't be an issue.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 12:36 AM on Jul. 14, 2011