Help! My dogs wont go outside if its cold or rainy!

My dogs are inside dogs and the are house trained. I got them this summer and ever since they go outside in the morning and several times during the day to relieve themselves. But this is the first time I've had them while its raining and cold and they refuse to go outside! I dont keep them there for long just a few minutes. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to help my dogs go outside without having to drag them outside????thanks

cam9lak

Asked by cam9lak at 9:34 PM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Pets

• I have the same problem with one of my dogs...lol. I try to let her out in the morning and if she will not go I just keep trying throughout the day. She will final go when she can not hold it anymore usually that afternoon....lol.  Sorry I am no help.

jepelican

Answer by jepelican at 9:39 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• maybe leave the door open for a bit. they might need to weasel there way outside.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 9:54 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• my dog does it, too. Drives me crazy!! Eventually she goes outside but she has been stubborn in the past and went in the house. She caught bloody HELL from me so I think that was her last stand.

Just keep suggesting and also....I walk out in it with her. If it's raining or snowing, whatever. I walk out there while she goes.
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 10:00 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• If you have an umberella, I would encourage you to go out with the dog when it rains, that we she isn't out there alone. If it's cold, just bundle up and keep her company outside.
    My dogs don't like the rain either, but I just shove them out the door and eventually they get over it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• My dog is a big wuss when it comes to great outdoors. When winter comes and its time for her to go out, we know that we are in for rough 3-4 months till the weather warms. We always go outside with her and we have to fight with her to get her out that door. We have tried to just wait her out but it seems that she can hold that pee forever. We have to drag her out sometimes and she is not allowed back in until she goes (when we know its been awhile since she went last). Just do what you gotta do to get them out, thats my advice. Good luck and we know the feeling.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 1:44 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• My dog does it too. i push my dog outside and force her ass to go. my inlaws dog though is WAY too prissy and she'll only go when she absolutely can't hold it anymore
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 3:25 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• our dog did that too. we adopted her thanksgiving weekend from an animal shelter and when we got her home she did good, then it rained for like 4 days straight, i was really getting worried cause she refused to even step on wet grass (we tried catching it when there was a break in the rain so she wouldnt get rained on) eventually she just had to go. i would say just keep trying, good luck.
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 9:15 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• My female dogs won't go outside when it's raining either! Little prisses! I have to take them out front where there are rocks so their precious little paws won't get muddy.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 3:22 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Get your dogs rain coats and winter coats. My little Westie loves the rain. The Rott hates it. I have to order his coat on line now because he is so huge. But he goes out with no problem.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 8:47 AM on Dec. 20, 2008

• Would you want to go out to potty when it is cold & rainy? LOL
    Gene_Godwin

Answer by Gene_Godwin at 2:22 AM on Jul. 25, 2010