EBFing HELP PLEASE!

My dd lost 2lbs by the time she was 5 weeks. I had to start supplementing through a syringe while she's nursing. I literally drank 2 gallons of water today. I've upped my calories and started taking Alfalfa (this all came up Friday). I also started pumping to see how much she was getting. Even now, 5 days later I can still only pump out 1 ML! Not OUNCE, ML! Also came down with mastitis the SAME DAY.
I feel discouraged, lost, helpless, inadequate. I refuse to give up, but every time I have to supplement I feel like I get closer to giving up. I don't know what else to do to up my supply. Please, HELP!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:47 PM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Pump on your letdown, you will get more. Don't even start pumping till you start spraying. What I did was rub my nipple with that cone thingie till I felt it, then pumped. It's highly likely your baby is getting more than you can pump. Nurse as frequently as possible, including overnight. Get in touch with your local La Leche League, they are more than happy to help you :) I really wish you the best, bf is not the easiest, but you should stick it out as long as you can!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 9:51 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• That's the thing - she nurses almost constantly...and I can't blame her! I hardly have time to pump as it is b/c she is always attached. I can't feel my let down.
    Anonymous

• when i was BFing, i tried to pump to up my supply (just so that i could have a stock of milk) but i never got more then a half an ounce in a day. and i had an okay supply. a lot of times your body only makes what your baby needs. Try eating oatmeal. when my supply was lower I ate oatmeal and my supply shot up! it was great! theres also fenugreek which helped me too. but definitely contact your local le leche league leader, they will help you so much more then we can! they can definitely put your mind at ease and they are honestly some of the most supportive, and kind people you can talk to! the main thing you should do is relax for now. i know its hard, but if your stressed that can affect your supply
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 10:05 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• What kind of pump do you have? It may be an issue with the technology you are using. I use a medela pump in style. It works very well. It has two modes of suction. One is a quick repetitive motion to get the let down going then you hit the let down button when the milk starts to flow and it gives longer slower drags to express the milk.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:05 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• i don't always feel a let down either, most of the time i don't. it takes a few days for your supply to increase. your dd might be going thru a growth spurt now and that's why she's eating all the time. is she having 6-8 wet diapers a day? if so then she's probably getting enough. is she swallowing after every suck? should be able to hear it if she is. check out www.kellymom.com , there's all kinds of useful info on there.  babies can get way more milk out of you than you will be able to get out while pumping, don't let it discourage you.  i always get the most out when i'm full, like first thing in the morning or after a long nap.  the fuller you are the easier it comes out. 

Tarable525

Answer by Tarable525 at 10:10 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Don't freak out. It's normal for them to lose some weight at first. They are supposed to actually. Try to have faith that nature will take care of things. Keep pumping to increase your supply. If you supplement too much with formula it will stretch your babies tummy out so he/she will need more to get them full.
    Anonymous

• I'll try to respond to everyone in this -

I have the same medula pump you are talking about, beck.

I got mastitis before I started pumping, so it wasn't that.

Thank you all for your responses, I'll def check out kellymom.com

To the last anon, weight loss is normal, but not this much. They are not supposed to lose more than 10% of their body weight and she has lost about 25%. At 5 weeks she should have been back up to her birth weight, but she was continuing to lose instead of gain. Trust me, I didn't want to supplement but I couldn't watch her lose more weight. And, again, trust me, she isn't getting that much formula. I can barely get her to take 3 ounces in a 24 hour period - that isn't much or near what she should be getting.

Anonymous

• I had to take Raglan or Reglan. Not really sure it has been 2 1/2 years. It was recommended to me by the NICU nurses at my hospital. My Dr was happy to give me a prescription for it because he knew that I was pumping every 3 hours (my daughter was in the nicu for 2 months so I couldn't breast feed). Anyway, if you are not against taking some medication then I recommend that you look into this. It is used for indigestion and heartburn but it can increase your milk flow.

StacyMarie1029

Answer by StacyMarie1029 at 11:38 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Try using fenugreek tea..drink it 3 times a day or take 2 tablets of it 3 times a day..that helped me out i had the same issue. Stop taking Tylenol that dries up some womans supply...and estrogen and progestren (sp?) birth control dries up alot too...use the mini pill if you use the pill...anyway try the fenugreek tea that helped me alot...good luck :-) hope this helps
    BrittneyHansen

Answer by BrittneyHansen at 12:39 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• RELAX, that's the number one thing. Stress can greatly hinder your let-down, so take a deep breath, and think about what a good thing you're doing for your sweet little baby (dammit, just THINKING that made me refill, lol!). Each time after you nurse, pump until nothing else comes out. Keep stimulating those puppies! :)

I would seriously consider working with a lactation consultant or your local La Leche league. Some of them seem to be too fanatical for me, but they want you to be successful almost as much as you do, and will have the best resources for YOU and your body. Good luck, Mama!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 1:16 AM on Dec. 18, 2008