We are not ready to potty train my son yet. But I would like to save some money on diapers. Can anyone tell me if they use cloth diapers? What are the advantages/disadvantages? Is it more complicated/messy/hard to keep up? Are cloth diapered babies more prone to rashes, because my son has ultra sensitive skin? Is it worth it to even do this late in the game (my son being 14 months now)? Any light on the subject would be great!

cloth diapers toddler

Ophy

Asked by Ophy at 9:51 PM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Go to a La Leche meeting if there's one in your area. I went to one and all of the moms there use cloth diapers. They will defiintely give you good advice.

But, for the record, its not a whole lot cheaper than disposables - or at least generic disposables. You still have the added cost of water, detergent, the actual diapers themselves, diaper rash cream, electricity to run your washing machine more (1 load a day), electricity for your dryer, plastic covers to keep the diapers from leaking, a storage pail, plus the stress of it will probably cause you to not feel like cooking and have to eat out, etc etc etc.
    Anonymous

• i agree i think itd prolly be easier to stick with the dispoables!
    amysmomma505

Answer by amysmomma505 at 11:06 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• If you're planning on having more kids that you'd e.c.d., it'd be worth it. If he's your last/only, then stick with sposies.
    Anonymous

• i was thinking about this too however since i do use disposables every few packages of cheap i will buy a package of huggies. the cheapy diapers that i buy save me 10 bucks a pack. not the greatest but they work. i liked one store brand over another and i cant remember if it was walmarts that was better or targets.
    CAarmywife

Answer by CAarmywife at 11:19 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Have you priced cloth diapers yet? The ones I've seen are really expensive, unless you get the paper thin burp cloth ones, plus the plastic pants to go over them aren't cheap either. And you would still need to get a bunch. It would probably be just as economical to get a store brand (if you don't already). I always liked the Target brand and they cost half of what you would pay for huggies or pampers. Sam's Club had excellent prices too. If it were me, I would look at other areas to cut back, because like the first reply said, add in all the other costs and you aren't saving much with cloth.
    MidnightMama911

Answer by MidnightMama911 at 12:57 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I started with cloth diapers at 6 months. I used them up until I went to visit my mom for two weeks (at 15 months old) We paid 15 a diaper and got about 8 of them, it works out to be cheaper. I did a tiny load every night and kept the dirty ones rinsed and in the washer. I loved it, and will start again when my package of disposables is gone. I recommend bumgenius all in ones. The key to keeping him rash free is changing him as soon as he poops and every two hours (important!) if he is wet. Sometimes you might need an extra insert at night. But if he does get an inkling of a rash clean him, let him run around naked a minute and use Balmex or Butt Paste. If the rash is persistent use disposables for a day or two. They are supposed to make potty training easier. The start up cost can be hard, we put it on our credit card (interest free) and paid it promtly though. I think it is worth it!
    Renee21

Answer by Renee21 at 6:53 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I HIGHLY recommend cloth! We've never had an issue with diaper rash, and my DS has super sensitive skin... I would recommend all-in-one cloth diapers, that way you don't have to deal with the plastic covers and such... You can start with 6-8 diapers and work up from there... I would recommend 16-20 diapers IF you don't want to have to wash diapers daily... There are some cloth diapering groups on CM, and you can find homemades for a pretty decent price... HTH!
    thea11ens

Answer by thea11ens at 6:55 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Its definatly not to late to start cding! i love using cloth and have been doing since my son was 1 month old. using cloth is really easy and not hard to clean at all! i actually have a really helpful site you should check out. it can help answer ALL your questions! Eco Baby Buzz

faiths13

Answer by faiths13 at 10:50 AM on Dec. 19, 2008