In-Law Snub

So my father in law who I thought really liked me did something today, not anything serious, but enough to let me know that he doesn't approve of me (or more so my family) as much as I thought he did. I don't know how I'm going to handle the holidays now with being over at their house frequently. Do I act fake nice or just be silent like I feel like doing (I would NEVER be rude). He probably doesn't even know what he did was offensive. Nonetheless. it hurt badly

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:52 PM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It;s hard to give advice on this without knowing what he did. You say it wasn't a big deal, but then you said it hurt badly. If it hurt you so badly then it is a big deal. Ask DH to talk to him for you. Ask him to let his father know that your feelings were hurt and that you had thought you had such a great relationship and this has made you reconsider that assumption. I am sure he'll apologize for what ever he did. He probably didn't mean to offend.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:00 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Well, I don't know what happened or I could probably give you a more detailed answer LOL

On what I DO know... I guess if it were me I'd make sure my husband was aware of the situation & let him know that I'd be leaving early if things get uncomfortable for me... or, if it's a big deal, have him talk to his dad about it.

G'luck
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 10:02 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• If it really hurt you that badly, I would suggest writing him a letter. Apparently you think highly enough of him that he really hurt your feelings. I would let him know how I thought about him before & make him understand why you are so surprised & hurt by what he had said. Maybe he can explain or at least think about what he has done. Don't excuse it or the problem can't be solved & your feelings about your in laws could possibly get worse.

onespecialmom

Answer by onespecialmom at 11:04 PM on Dec. 17, 2008