How much milk should a 1-year old drink each day?

Weaning my almost one year old now...after she is completely off breast milk and switched over to cow's milk, how much per day should she have?

cdecker83

Asked by cdecker83 at 9:43 AM on Jul. 14, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• same as she would formula. about 3 sippys of milk a day is what I gave mine
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 9:49 AM on Jul. 14, 2011

• I cannot believe people are telling you to give her juice!! NOT NEEDED!!! Empty calories at that age...and too acidic.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 9:56 AM on Jul. 14, 2011

• I definitely see the need for milk and water...but one year olds don't NEED 4-8 ounces of juice a day. That's strictly optional. Water and milk are more than enough. Give fresh fruit, not juice.
    jteffs

Answer by jteffs at 10:03 AM on Jul. 14, 2011

• My pediatrician says 16 oz of milk and one additional serving of dairy. I give mine milk with breakfast and supper, other than that they get water. Juice is an occasional treat.

Answer by missanc at 10:18 AM on Jul. 14, 2011

• Juice is MOST DEF OPTIONAL. I give my son VERY diluted juice a few times a week. My son is 11 1/2 months old and I've started him on cow's milk. He drinks 29oz per day of milk. I have no idea if that is "right" or not, but he drinks it....He also eats three meals a day and one snack.
    CollinsMommy729

Answer by CollinsMommy729 at 10:23 AM on Jul. 14, 2011

• 3-4 sippy cups full per day id say is enough. Vitamin D is the best until they are 2. Also make sure that in between those cups of milk that she is drinking water and 1 8oz juice per day.
    Amberlovesher3

Answer by Amberlovesher3 at 9:49 AM on Jul. 14, 2011

• Your going to get alot of different answers, I have read that moms give their toddlers as much milk as they had in formula....alot of mis information out there. If you choose to give your child milk(which is for baby cows, not meant for humans to drink) I would research other options- rice, allmond, soy, hemp milks. They only need 2-3 servings a day, including yogurt, cheese, any type of milk.( 1 serving is a cup, not a tall glass) They do NOT need the fat from milk, they do need fat, but animal fats arnt healthiest. Alot of people will argue the fat reason for giving their kids milk, but that isnt the only way of getting it. Plus milk is full of cholesterol. Anyhow, good luck, I was realy confused when my first baby was that age, as to what to do as well, they drink all the forms of milk I mentioned, are very healthy and rarly sick(tho, were breastfed for close to 2 years as well)
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 9:54 AM on Jul. 14, 2011