Ingrown toenails, can you fix them at home?

I have an ingrown nail and it is killing me. I just don't want to go to the doctor. lol Does anyone know if there is a way to fix it at home? I read one site that said to put a lemon on my toe, put a sock over it, and keep it on over night. lol I don't think I am interested in that one. :0)

Jynnifer292

Asked by Jynnifer292 at 10:42 PM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Health

• It sounds gross (and probably is), but my mom used to talk about how my dad would shove cotton up underneath the nail so it would grow over it and he could cut it out. Apparently my dad was a weenie once upon a time and refused to go to the doctor or something, lmao. Other than that, I'm not sure what else you could do O.o
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:44 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• If you go to a pharmacy or drug store they sell a tool for such a purpose. It will be located near the nail clippers. It has two handles and looks like a small version of a hand held hedge trimmer. It has a slanted blade that will be able to dig that ingrown nail out. Make sure to cleanse the area and use some form of antiseptic. i use lanocane as it also helps with the pain. It is very painful, but not as painful as a doctor bill! LOL good luck!

MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 10:49 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• It depends on how ingrown it is. I'll usually try to take a hot bath or just soak your foot in the hottest water you can stand. Get ahold of your nail and pull up on the part of the nail you know is ingrown. It will hurt, but at the same time you'll feel some pressure relief. Keep pulling up on it every once in a while. Usually it will take a few days. Sometimes you'll be able to work it out right away. Alot of times it will be infected and you'll get puss. It's gross, but once you get the nail worked out and the puss out, it'll feel great.

Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 10:51 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Try soaking it in warm water and epsom salt then do what Nikka75 said.
    Anonymous

• Do like the first reply says. Dig it out (hurts like hell but you gotta do it!), then shove a wad of cotton under it for a few days (change it regularly). I've had tons of them and never went to the doctor for them. Once it's good & out & the skin underneath is healing, you cut it off. Hope you feel better soon, those buggers suck!
    Anonymous

• Sure, you can fix it at home. It might hurt alot depending on how bad it is though. But here is what I do.. get a small pain of nail scissors.. get the pointed end underneath the nail and lift out the ingrown part, you might had to cut some skin in the process, but if you work at it, you should be able to do it yourself. (That's if it isn't too bad.... If it is too bad, I would see a Dr.)
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 11:04 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I will try soaking it and getting it out of there. If I can't I will have to break down and go to the doctor. It is the first time I have ever had one. It is pretty swollen and quite red but if I can fix it and get some Neosporin in there I am hoping it will work. Thanks for the advice. :0)
    Jynnifer292

Answer by Jynnifer292 at 11:23 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Yes you can get them out at home. i had them frequently as a kid. Soak in epsom salt, then GENTLY work a small bit of cotton ball up underneath the nail til it is lifted out. Keep it like that, changing the cotton once a day til the skin underneath is healed. To keep it from becoming ingrown again, trim it straight across. You should never clip your toenails into a rounded edge, t hey should be trimmed straight across with the corners of the nail a little higher to where they wont grow in.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:24 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I used to do these procedures all the time and an ingrown toenail removal is a last resort. Hopefully its not so bad that it's infected. The best thing to do is take a piece of cotton roll it up and then use one side of tweezers to lift up the part thats ingrown. You might have to dig a little bit, but you want to shove the cotton underneath it to lift the nail off your skin. Keep doing it until your nail grows out and to prevent this in the future you want to not cut your nails so short and cut strait across not round. Then gently file the sides so their not sharp. There are specific nail clippers for toes. If that doesn't work you can always dig it out and then cut it out yourself...but theres no guarantee that it wont happen again. If you need more help pm me I've removed several toenails.
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 2:43 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Between MommasCooCoo and Nika, you've got some great advice.
    Also, if this becomes a reoccurring problem, your doctor can kill back the nailbed just the slightest bit so it doesn't keep growing into that same spot.

I do the same as pupmom, but it hurts like a bitch, no matter what you do.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 4:13 AM on Dec. 18, 2008