Long White Worm came out my puppy's butt! (And it would have to be at noon when the vet is closed - Argh)

So we got this little guy when he was 5-7 weeks old. (That was almost 3 months ago, so he's roughly 4 months old now)

He's been under CONSTANT vet care since we got him. He had worms (which he was treated for) he went through a period of having both of his legs in casts because he had Rickets and both of his front feet were broke, plus his ankle.

We literally took him straight to the vet the very hour we got him and to date he's had LITERALLY 4 stool sample tests done - the last one was 3 weeks ago - it was clear and showed NO signs of worms. He's had all of his shots (except Rabies which are due next week when he gets fixed). We even went through a round of preventative antibiotics because he was sickly one week (but his tests showed clear) so the vet put him on an antibiotic "just to be safe".

(I hope you get the point that our little guy HAS NOT been neglected at all when it comes to his vet care - he's been to the vet on average every 1-2 weeks since we got him - he was a puppy that was thrown over the fence during the night at an animal shelter - we have him on the best food we could find , Merrick Puppy Food,(dry) Merrick Puppy Plate (can), takes Ener-Cal Vitamin (daily), Pet Vits (daily - that's a prescription vitamin for Vitamin D and Calcium) and on a hip/joint glucosamine vitamin chew (daily) - PLUS He's on Revolution Topical Treatment(monthly) - so far he's been given 3 topical treatments - AND He is bathed weekly with a medicated shampoo (because he had a fungus that's typical of puppies that were malnourished and never got any Vitamin D)

I guess at this point I probably shouldn't be surprised that *something else* has come up - but when you've been as vigilant as we have with his vet care, I guess I just didn't expect to see him running through the house, turning circles, freaking out because there was a (almost) 5 inch long worm HANGING OUT of his butt fifteen minutes ago!

And of course! it would happen during the lunch hour when the vet office is closed. They won't reopen until 2. PLUS let's complicate a little more - we just moved to a new city - yep, right in the middle of all this we were being relocated by DH's company - So it's taken some work to keep his vet schedule, but we have, but now we're on the bad end of being a "New patient" at this vet office, and having our little mini-emergecy during the lunch hour. (LoL only *my* soap opera of a life would this be happing in).

ANYWAY - Does anyone have any IDEA what this worm could have been (tapeworm, Round Worm, etc) AND AND AND - DO I NEED TO SPEND THE NEXT HOUR BLEACHING EVERYTHING IN SIGHT - is this something that WE can get from him - OR is this something that our other dog can get????

Any quick answers would help ease my mind until I can talk to the vet - I called and left a message - but heaven only knows when they will actually call me back. Ya know.

HELP??

ShelbyShareAlot

Asked by ShelbyShareAlot at 1:41 PM on Jul. 14, 2011 in Pets

• If it was kind of flat, that would be tape worms.
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 1:43 PM on Jul. 14, 2011

• I'd say it's a round worm as tape worms come out in segments that look like rice (gross I know) It is an intestinal parasite, but your dog won't get sick from it necessarily. 10 days of pills from your vet will kill them
    hollydaze1974

Answer by hollydaze1974 at 1:49 PM on Jul. 14, 2011

• I bet it's a whip worm, hookworm, or a roundworm. Nothing to get alarmed over if he's eating food or treats and drinking and playing he will be fine until you can get him treated. Google those 3 worms and you can sometimes tell which one by the shape. People CAN contract roundworms and hookworms, which the eggs are in the feces or dirt and ingested. You might want to bleach your yard out a little, you can use 1 cup bleach in a 3 gal garden sprayers and hose down where your dog frequents. Where he poops, lays, eats... if it's outside. He could also be contracting them by touching noses with neighbor dogs, so if you have neighbors, you might let them know what your vet says they are. Those type of worms can cause blockage in the stomach, intestines, and tract, that way they're aware of them too.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 2:10 PM on Jul. 14, 2011

• Okay - I looked 'em up - I *feel* like it's roundworm - and I've called the vets office again and can't get through just yet.

I read that WE can get Roundworm and I've been a freaking out a little - trying not to - but he has slept on our bed with us in the last week, so I've got our pillows in the wash right now, the bed stripped down, LoL and I had a can of Lysol Spray and Clorox Spray - each one claims to kill something the other one doesn't claim - so I sprayed our mattress down with BOTH and I've got the steam-cleaner hooked up to go over our mattress with that TOO.

{{{{GROSS}}}} Even when you try to stay calm, you can't help be freak out a little bit thinking that you could get a worm in YOUR butt too!! It's enough to make ya wanna walk around clenching your cheeks together!!

Still Vigilant - Still waiting to get hold of the vet - but doing all I can in the meantime.
    ShelbyShareAlot

Comment by ShelbyShareAlot (original poster) at 3:26 PM on Jul. 14, 2011

• And I still can't get through to the first vet's office - so I've called another one and they are going to see him at 3:30 Today -
    All I have to do is to try and keep myself from going into OCD mode until then . LoL
    ShelbyShareAlot

Comment by ShelbyShareAlot (original poster) at 3:35 PM on Jul. 14, 2011

• I'm pretty sure your puppy is going to be fine :) Good thing you got him in when you did so you could stop feeling so grossed out! I don't blame you though. Sure wouldn't want any worm sticking out of my butt either! lol...Remember while he is being treated, disopse of his poop right away and clean up any in the yard asap, so he doesn't reinfect himself. Also another important fact: Dog's do NOT have the cleanest mouths! :) Good luck
    RubyBlue82

Answer by RubyBlue82 at 4:35 PM on Jul. 14, 2011

• Wash your hands real good after handling any poop. Humans can catch worms but proper hygiene will go a long way towards preventing that. If it helps, one of our dogs had hookworms, which can also spread to humans, but no one in the family caught it from her. Hope puppy feels better soon- sounds like he has had a rough time in his short life!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:11 PM on Jul. 14, 2011

• Just to update - Tests (plus me taking the 'sample' with me) confirmed it as Roundworm. The vet said that they almost NEVER come out alive - AND this one was a female (full grown) and ready to lay eggs (of which the vet said she had "millions of eggs ready to lay") - the "millions" part might have been an exaggeration on the vets part or maybe not, LoL I don't know how many eggs they actually lay at once. Anyway - she went over his records from the other vet (or previous vet) and said that she just doesn't understand why his last fecal test didn't detect them BUT that it *can* happen that a false negative comes up. We did get the "pick up all poo" instruction and she told me that there are no "clear studies to confirm that Bleach is the cure-all when it come to them" but that it sure couldn't hurt.
    It's midnight and I just finished bleaching the hell out of everything in sight. Plus picking up poo and spraying the yard
    ShelbyShareAlot

Comment by ShelbyShareAlot (original poster) at 1:29 AM on Jul. 15, 2011

• I am glad your puppy will be better soon! U seem like a great owner!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:33 PM on Jul. 16, 2011

• My puppy shit out a pile of worms a few days after I got him. I know how you feel.
    mommydinasaur

Answer by mommydinasaur at 10:57 PM on Jul. 23, 2011