Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do i keep porn sites off my computer.

I have a son who shares my computer, but if i am not in the room with him he goes to the porn sites. He's at that age. His hormones are going out of whack.
I have screened some of the sites but he keeps finding more. How can i controll whats comes into my computer besides just blocking these sites. There are so many. There has to a way to keep them off or preventing my son from going into there sites.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:25 PM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

Answers (8)
  • umm theres really no way besides blocking them,..idk

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

  • There are several programs available to block these sites. The one I use is called Watchdog. It has settings you provide to the computer. It will block these unless you allow the program to view. Watchdog is available at Walmart. (At least my Walmart carries it.)

    Answer by Springtadpole2 at 3:26 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

  • Yeah don't let him have access to the computer. If he can't use it responsibly don't let him on it. All you need is a computer access password.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:00 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

  • i put a password on it and we have the computer in a common room so that there is almost always someone in the room. go online and google block porn. they have lots of sites that offer a download that locks or blocks out porn. some are really good.

    Answer by melody77 at 10:25 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

  • this is what we use:
    it is free, you set a password and you can use it to block websites.

    Answer by soccerchik8287 at 12:35 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

  • Netnanny or websitter...they block all that kind of crap..or just lie and tell him you have a keyloger installed and will know the minute he brings one up. Did you confront him about it? Hormones be damned...let him know it is NOT ok to objectify women and how would he feel if that were his friends looking at his little sister?

    Answer by salexander at 11:46 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

  • I have the same problem with my younger brother. What I would do is either restrict him from using the computer and make it password protected to use the internet (but it does get annoying when I'm trying to search for things using Internet Explorer) and make it so you need a password to log onto a user. Also, you can with AOL make his browsing age appropriate, or if you have Mozilla Firefox (what I use) you can install add-ons which prevent him from viewing web pages with certain words (i.e. nudity, xxx, etc.)

    Answer by tegansnowflake at 11:16 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

  • You need to block it from your network. Whoever provides your internet service considers YOU the network administrator. You need to find out your ip address, most people are type that into your browser and hit enter. It should take you to a screen that might say "user name" and "password". if you have never set it up before, you need to figure out your user name and password. That is easily accomplished by typing in the maker of your router or modem and your internet carrier to google and find out the default user name and password. You can then set your own password. Then you need to sign up to "OpenDNS" and create a free account. They will send you instructions on how to proceed from there. It is pretty easy-essentially you will be re-configuring your router to use a specific set of DNS addesses which simply will not connect to those websites.

    Answer by stjohnlaughlin at 1:52 PM on Jul. 4, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.