Zoloft whilst pregnant?

I recently became pregnant and while my Dr and Psychiatrist have said it would be better for me to stay on zoloft it makes me nervous. I have cut the dose right down (gradually) but they feel stopping could actually be more damaging due to emotional stability. Has anyone taken zoloft during pregnancy? Was all ok?

Loobieloo

Asked by Loobieloo at 11:35 PM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Pregnancy

• i am on Zoloft too, and i read that they recommend that you do not take it during the 3rd trimester of your pregnancy, but if your doctors say it's okay, then it must be okay. think of it this way :a happy medicated mother is better than  having an unhappy non-medicated mother, especially when you are welcoming a new bundle of joy into the world!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I took Zoloft while pregnant and breastfeeding. Everything was okay.
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 12:02 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I have been on Zoloft for 10 years and my doctor did not want to take me off of it during my pregnancy. He said that it is safe to take while pregnant and as a nurse I had to second guess him and do research myself. He is right, no known harm has ever come out of taking Zoloft while pregnant it is one of the safest anti-anxiety meds out there for pregnancy.

The only thing that my doctor advised me and that I found in my own research is that if you are unable or unwilling to breastfeed the baby then the baby may have a few days of withdrawl symptoms. Apparently, when you ween from breastfeeding it is also weening them off of the med.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 12:56 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Add another to the "me too" crowd. I've been on 100mg a day through 2 pregnancies. No adverse effects at all.
    eastonbennett

Answer by eastonbennett at 9:08 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• You ladies are wonderful, thank you so much
    Loobieloo

Answer by Loobieloo at 3:15 PM on Dec. 18, 2008