anti depressants?

im a mom that is on an anti depressant, i feel alone, i just need to know if any other mom is on them? and did they work for you? i just feel like im letting my whole family down...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:36 PM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Health

• I am currently not on antidepressants, but several years ago I was. It took several months of trying one med for about 2 months, if it didn't help we switched meds, and so on until I found the one that worked for me.

tell your psychiatrist that you don't feel the meds you are currently on are working and they will either work out a higher dosage or a new med.
    Anonymous

• I have been take anti-depressants or anti-anxiety meds for many years. They have worked for me, but some are different than others. First off, your husband and doctor need to know. Nobody elses business (I say tell husband because in an emergency reaction and honest communication) For the last 16 years I have worked in the pharmaceutical/medical field. Believe me, you are not the only one. Talk to your MD about your feelings. You might benefit from a psychiatrist consult (usually one time and not as scary as you think. Best way to start out on right foot). Counseling is good too, but does not get to the physical problem. Remember depression is an illness and can be short term or long term. Don't be so hard on yourself. Taking care and being gentle with yourself is the best way to take care of your family.
    Mrs.RLD

Answer by Mrs.RLD at 11:46 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I take them and it works for me and makes me a better mom. i have hopes i will soon not need them but for now im happy! Don't feel bad maybe you need a change in meds if you still feel low. You are not the only one... many women will never even admit taking them but they say about 40% of americans use them!!
    CaityMarie

Answer by CaityMarie at 12:34 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I take antidepressants and have for many years. I think everyone is differant but I defintely cannot function without them. When I am not on my medication, i cry, i sleep, i'm impatient with my children, and i just lay in bed wallowing in my misery. To me, THAT is letting my family down. But I am closely monitored by my primary doctor and i see a therapist when im feeling overwhelmed. I dont think it should be just medication ...i think you should also have someone you can talk to and tell your feelings to.
    You are not alone!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:08 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• i dont take any but i have been wondering about this topic for a while.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 1:19 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Have taken prozac and I quit. My kids tell me to go back on my meds.... apparently they were working. I just took myself off & cant afford the Dr's visit to get back on them!
    dallasalice1

Answer by dallasalice1 at 1:34 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I took them for about a year, and they worked wonders for me. i was on a combination of medications for depression and anxiety. Some of the depression meds can actually make your depression worse though so if you are still feelign this way maybe its time for a switch. But trust me, I know alot of stay at home moms who are on them, its not as uncommon as one would think!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:20 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I spent about 15 years on them. We finally came to the conclusion that the benefit was not enough for me. I was becoming a zombie. I went through almost every antidepressant on the market. You are not alone sweetie. If they help they help.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 4:10 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Oh girl, about 25-30% of moms these days are on anti-depressants. TRUST ME, you're not alone and it's absolutely NOTHING to be ashamed of.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 4:16 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I am prescribed them, I take them sometimes. I need them,I have anxiety attacks and can be sort of bipolar at times.lol. Nothing is wrong with taking them if they help you. It is nothing to be ashamed of. Lots of people use meds for depression,add, anxiety,etc.
    sweetest-sin7

Answer by sweetest-sin7 at 4:48 AM on Dec. 18, 2008