Does anemia make you tired?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:44 PM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Pregnancy

• yes, im anemic and I take slow iron release fe it makes me fell better, my doctor discovered it during pregnancy.
    mommymomo07

Answer by mommymomo07 at 11:46 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• YES! Eat food rich in iron, or take an iron supplement (but beware, it can cause constipation.) I used it as an excuse to go out for steak a lot.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:47 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• OP here - I took my first slow fe pill today. How long till I get some energy? I am 37 weeks...
    Anonymous

• Yes. If you use cast iron pots, they will fortify your food with iron. Also, iron rich foods. Nut most imprtantly discuss your concerns with your Doctor.
    Anonymous

• Anemia = too few red blood cells floating around in your blood, or your red blood cells have too little iron so that they cannot carry as much oxygen as you need for you and the baby. Iron pills are one piece of the puzzle. Eating foods which help you take in more iron is also important. Cooked greens, the darker & curlier they are the better for your purposes, and eat them with fresh fruit for vit. C to help take in the iron. Wheat grass juice is incredibly helpful - fresh is best, frozen is next, I suppose powdered is somewhat useful. ... Also, your body won't tend to increase your iron unless you give it a reason to do it, so be active. Walk a couple of times a day for 15 to 20 minutes. Now, don't overdo and get out of breath or really tired - that is not good for the baby - just do enough movement 2 or 3 times a day to get the blood circulating and give your body the message that it's time to beef up the blood.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 12:19 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• yeah i have anemia now too because my iron level was so low... sucks doesnt it ?
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 12:34 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Absolutely! I went way too long in my pregnancy without knowing this, I could have done so much earlier on if only I'd had the energy!

And to answer your next question, you might start feeling better as early as tomorrow!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 12:56 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Give it some time, even a week. It won't have you sprinting anytime soon; remember, you ARE in your third trimester, the final weeks of it, no less. You're not SUPPOSED to be bounding with energy right now!! Go get some sleep, mama!! =)
    Also, make sure you're getting enough water, because you can get constipated. If your stools look dark, that's normal, FYI.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:25 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Yes, I had horrible anemia from my c-section. I was pale white. I remember not only feeling tired, but VERY weak.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 7:11 PM on Dec. 18, 2008