What kind of sleep aide can you take while nursing?

I have a friend who is nursing and she is having alot of trouble sleeping at night. I have heard that benadryl can dry up your milk and she is already having alot of trouble getting enough to feed her little one so she dont need that but she needs to get some rest. Does anyone know what she can take that would be safe and would not effect her milk supply.

proudmom2x

Asked by proudmom2x at 11:55 PM on Dec. 17, 2008 in General Parenting

• cosleeping helps me. Its really hard for me to fall asleep wiithout my baby next to me. sometimes I fall asleep while he's still latchd on. If she doesn't co-sleep than maybe melitonin (sp?)
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 12:01 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I am not sure if one can take these while nursing but Valerian Root and Passion Flower are really good. Mountain Rose Herb carries a blend of the two. Wal Mart carries Valerian Root--but beware--it stinks!!! It works, but it smells:-) But check the label first if nursing or pregnant. I can't recall if these are contraindications since I am past that stage in life:-o

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Just remember that everything you take in passes through your milk, your best bet is to talk to your OBGYN.
    cheryl4martin

Answer by cheryl4martin at 12:55 PM on Dec. 18, 2008