Anxiety and Christianity?!

I suffer from anxiety and one of my main symptoms is obsessive thoughts. This is usually something that is blown out of proportion and irrational but there is no way for me to stop thinking about it over and over and then worry about actually thinking about it!! is it true that if i have these negative thoughts or worries that God will put them in my life? I'm trying to stay faithful and love God through these uncertain times but i feel guilty for feeling this way. Does this make me a bad christian? I try reading the bible and pray but i honestly can't help this behavior. I'm going to talk to my doctor but i just wanted to know if God thinks i'm ridiculous for countinuing to dwell on these few thoughts. If i have an actual disorder am i constantly sinning. i feel bad i focus on these thoughts more than God but its uncontrolable. Anyone have suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Did you ever see the movie "What the bleep Do We Know?" It is about this woman who has recurring negative thinking that she doesn't want, and information she finds out. There is a great part in it which illustrates the way brain pathways that we use over and over get to be bigger, and how hormones that are triggered by our reactions to things can become "trigger-happy" and start getting triggered by almost nothing. ... Then, voila! you have a full-blown panic attack! There are many other things in the movie which may or may not be of interest, but this part seems relevant to your concern. Also, check online for various anxiety attack therapies - I have heard that one's self-talk can be an avenue for gaining some peace. God is so completely compassionate, He'll be rooting for you to come through this ... Best wishes ! "GLORY TO GOD IN THE HIGHEST, AND ON EARTH PEACE TO MEN OF GOOD WILL"
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 12:32 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• When the obsessive thoughts hit try to focus totally on Jesus. I am a bi polar, and I manage much of my illness this way. Praying for you.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 12:49 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• "is it true that if i have these negative thoughts or worries that God will put them in my life? "

You mean a self-fulfilling prophecy? They happen, but don't blame God for it. We do it to ourselves.

Here's an exercise I learned once, and it works. "Making it worse." Let your train of thought run away all the way to the most ridiculous logical end. You'll wind up laughing at yourself.

No, you're NOT a bad Christian. You're a human being. I think God thinks we're all a bit ridiculous anyway, but I also think He has a sense of humor. (How else would you explain the duck-billed platypus?)

If the anxiety is paralyzing, then do get some help. God helps those who help themselves, after all.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:26 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• We create as we go along. So to some extent, if you continue to think bad thoughts, you will have bad experiences. I too love that movie, "What the Bleep". It's a great explanation of how we are creators of our own existence.

Try this. Imagine that there is a tape player in the center of your forehead. And it is playing these "bad thoughts" over and over again. Take your finger and hit the eject button. LOL. And then ask God to help you be more positive. Start by surrounding yourself with The White Light and learning some positive affirmations. "I am living a positive, happy life" is a good start. YOU have power over your own thoughts and YOUR life.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 8:53 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• You are definalty not a Bad Christian but a great Christian because you are trying to get better. I used to suffer from panic attacks which would cause me to hyperventilate. I think it all has to do with our focus. When you start to become obsessive over a thought have you ever tried any type of calming methods? One method can be as easy as reminding your self by saying out loud that whatever your thinking is not true and that you are ok. Or you can read the Bible. Pick out a scripture or passage that is concerning faith and hope. Sometimes you may need some extra help like medication before you can tackle this disease on your own. Just know that God is rooting for you and wishes you the best. You are not sinning because sin is deliberate disobedience. You WILL conquer it and it WILL NOT any longer take over your life. Take care and if you want to talk I am here.
    floyd835

Answer by floyd835 at 7:43 PM on Dec. 18, 2008