Do you consider church to be a business?

My husband and I have been turned off by more churches because it seems they are only concerned about money. Has any one else had this type of experience?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• oh yeah... my old church ppl rstoped going and having classes with just there family.
    Also
    i went to a ATM church and they handed out money envolops to everyone like the pastor dekeins and all. I think that was so wrong.
    And
    One church took like 3 offerings wtf if i give you money the 1st time i aint doing it 2 more times.
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 12:33 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Those huge stadium churches sometimes seem to be all about money. I will NOT be attending those anytime soon. I went one time just to see the spectacle and it was pathetic. The pastor was asking everyone to donate $1000 and they would be blessed. The devil is with this loser of a pastor, not Jesus. True churches should not be a for-profit business.
    orangeorbie

Answer by orangeorbie at 12:30 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Yes. It's one of my problems with "organized" religion.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:42 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• It is one of my problems with organized Religion, too. We would like to go to church, but, always feel like we need to pay for that seat. In this day and age, the economy so bad, it makes me feel stress to contribute when we do not have extra to give so we do not go.
    Tetona

Answer by Tetona at 12:44 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Some churches...for sure they are more businesses than anything. I do not feel a pastor should be able to live off his salary from his parish. Those who taught in the bible had jobs as well.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 12:46 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• yes, but not in the negative sense apparently some do. the church employes staff; depending on its size, the staff may be larger, or more 'qualified'.some larger churches attract 'larger' members(for whatever reason, i won't assume);thus, the demographics of the membership can vary, as does the individual member's financials. common sense tells us that the larger the church, the more 'donations'/tithes it collects. (most anti-church tithers will argue those are the churches that need to 'help the poor'). the church may be tax-exempt, but it isn't mortgage/rent/utilities-exempt. the church, again depending on its size, offers charitable/community services. (cont)
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 1:09 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Colleen30: Did you know pastors are supposed to be paid double honor? That is in the bible. My dad was a pastor and worked 3 jobs. I have no problem with a pastor being paid enough to focus on the church and his ministry and not have to have an outside job. Also, churches have bills, pg&e, phone bills, maintenance, toilet paper in the restrooms, etc. Those things aren't free. Also as a pp said.. many churches offer community services etc.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 1:15 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• ..how can the church pay for all this, without bringing in a certain amount of $? i'm not saying, preach 'give of your pockets, and you'll be blessed'--that's a completely different post! the physical, tangible church has bills, in other words. they ask that members (not visitors, non-members) give offerings, etc, because of these bills. are some expenses necessary, salaries and such? that's not mine to say. if the church can 'afford' to pay a certain salary, then they are glad to do so. if they can't, they can't. again, whether a minister is employed by the church for the reason of being called to minister , or because they can pay a certain salary to him..that's on his conscience, to be taken up between he and his God. all in all, if you're attending a church that you disagree with, then don't attend. whatever the disagreement. but, not all churches operate as this current post complaint.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 1:17 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Some churches have become businesses. And it's hard for me to be sympathetic to their needs i they ad their affiliated groups spend a lot of money on political causes.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:22 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• we Jehovah's Witnesses don't pay tithes ever, we do volutary donations and always have, At no time were first-century Christians commanded to pay tithes. The primary purpose of the tithing arrangement under the Law had been to support Israel’s temple and priesthood; consequently the obligation to pay tithes would cease when that Mosaic Law covenant came to an end as fulfilled, through Christ’s death on the torture stake. (Eph 2:15; Col 2:13, 14)
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 3:21 AM on Dec. 18, 2008