How do I get the musty smell out of clothes?

Is it true that you can use baking soda while you wash to get the musty smell out of clothes? I also heard that vinegar works too but I am not sure.

hperezzz

Asked by hperezzz at 12:32 AM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Home & Garden

• I've had the best luck with fabreze. Just pour a cup into the wash.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:47 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Yes, this will help.
    Tetona

Answer by Tetona at 12:47 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I use baking soda on my rags and towels and it works well. You can even find the big bag of baking soda at Sam's club and probably even costco and bj's. Once in a while you can find it at Walmart too.
    jennmarie77

Answer by jennmarie77 at 7:18 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Vinegar works wonders. I use it as a fabric softener, just put it in the downy ball. It takes odors out, helps keep colors vibrant and softens the fabrics, plus it is much more economical than fabric softener and it doesn't have harsh chemicals! I LOVE VINEGAR!!!!
    livandemsmamma

Answer by livandemsmamma at 4:10 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• The absoulute best is Borax. We have problems going to the beach and leaving our towels in the car... Borax is awesome! Better than Clorox, Veinger, Ammonia, Bakeing Soda and lysol... I was just about to thow some of our nice towels out when I learned this trick.
    You Can get it at Wal Mart in the Detergent Isle... Usually on the top shelf its a big box of powder... costs only 3 bucks or so.

I use it in every load of towels dishcloths i love Borax!!!
    CocoMason

Answer by CocoMason at 10:35 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• If the problem is just odor, then yes, baking soda is great. Just add a cup of baking soda to your regular laundry load and wash as usual. If the smells are really bad, then soak the clothes in the washer with the baking soda for an hour first, then let the washer finish the load as usual. Adding white vinegar in a Downy Ball to your wash will also help to remove odors, plus it will soften your clothes and, because vinegar is a fixative (think Easter eggs), it helps to prevent colors from fading. Borax will also work (and is also fairly cheap to buy) - adding a half cup to a full load will boost the cleaning power of your detergent, neutralize odors, whiten whites, soften hard water, remove soap residue from clothes and disinfect them (very good for cloth diapers!).
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:05 PM on Dec. 20, 2008