Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If your adult child who was mentally ill and addicted

to drugs robbed you, would you file charges on him knowing he would spend years in prison or try to get him help?


Asked by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Relationships

This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • i dont know that seems like one of those questons that it may seem like a clear answer on either side some think its wrong to report it others think its clear she should but i think its one of those situtions you hope to never find your self in but until you do you cant really say what you would do

    Answer by mommie2twogirls at 1:26 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

  • try to get him help first if that dont work file charges

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

  • Well, his mother already filed charges and he will most likely be serving a long sentence.

    I was wondering how normal people would react because I do not think turning on your own child is normal.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

  • of course it also depends on how many times he done it too...was it more than once?

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

  • Does it matter if they did this before? I mean he is seriously mentally ill and was starving. His mother would not help him. When he got to the jail, he injuried himself and had to be moved to a criminal mental ward.

    What type of mother acts like that? Why not put him in rehab or get him medical help?

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

  • file charges. then as part of proceedings and scentencing, as the victim you can request that he be placed in a rehab instead, if he stays clean, pays his retributions through probation office, then he doesn't go to prison. If he fails to stay clean/sober or fails to pay back what he robbed (or it's value if it was sold) then he goes to prison.

    This is what my parents had to do to my brother to get him clean and sober.

    good luck!

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:02 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

  • If this is an ongoing problem then what else can be done? A person can't just keep taking and taking and do nothing.
    She could get a MIW and have him committed I guess. But even then he'll have an evaluation and if he's deemed no harm to himself or others he'll be out in no time.

    Answer by Jill42721 at 3:30 AM on Dec. 18, 2008