What was your worst phlebotomy (blood draw) experience?

I am curious to hear your story. I had a routine blood draw today and the lady used a blood pressure cuff to pump up my veins. Long story short, she put wayyy too much pressure on my veins, my arm was purple, I knew it was not going to turn out well..... and it didn't

She stuck the needle in my arm and my blood shot out and covered her from head to toe, blood was spattered on the ceiling, walls, and floor.

So.... yeah... tell me your experiences!

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 1:01 AM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Just for Fun

• I've also had a very weird experience. When I was in school for phlebotomy, we had one night where we stuck each other for practice. One of my classmates stuck me, we knew she had my vein, but no blood would come out. She called the teacher over, teacher said the vial might be bad and to put another on. My classmate did, and the vial popped off. Just popped right off like shooting a cannonball out of a cannon. The teacher took over, put 6 different vials on, they all popped right off. She started palpating around the needle and said it's in the vein. To this day, no one has ever been able to figure out what happened that night. But it's never happened again.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:16 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Lol! I'm surprised that didn't happen with me because they did that to me. My only bad experience is the fact that every time I go I end up getting like 3-5 of them instead of one because they NEVER get my vein because I am unfortunate and have puny, small veins. So I come out looking like a dope head that shoots up with bruises up my arm. Infact when I was 15 I got a total of 7 shots in the hospital when they were trying to give me an IV (3 different people attempted this) and my arm looked BAD. I went back to school and my teacher accused me of being on drugs!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:08 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Sorry you had that experience. That is terrible, but, funny she was covered in blood. DUH! I never allow students to practice on me because my veins are delicate.

Mine is not my phlebotomy draws for my worst experience, it is having an IV placed. I had a procedure done recently and this nurse insisted in using veins in my hand. I told her not to because I said she was going to blow out my veins and she would not listen. I told her where she could place a good IV and said I had this problem before. Three IV's later, she said she was done with me and another nurse had to do my IV. She placed the IV where I said to in the first place and got it on the first try. I hate needles and medical staff that does not listen!

Tetona

Answer by Tetona at 1:18 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• This is a professional experience, not a patient experience, but I was drawing blood on a patient who had extremely high blood pressure and when I put the needle in, the blood literally squirted upwards and got on me. It sucked and I had to get tested for all these blood diseases as a safety precaution. Luckily the patient was about 65 and had no catchable diseases. It was the scariest thing ever, and I have never heard of that happening or saw it happen again.
    beforeyoureyes

Answer by beforeyoureyes at 2:30 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• That poor lady! I don't care how clean a person's blood is, blood is still blood and you wouldn't want it splattered all over you! I can't stand the site of my OWN blood, but having someone elses spray all over me would make me go out and find another occupation (after I finished being ill). I feel bad for you too though, after all it was HER mistake that made it happen.

I was in the hospital and the nurse had put my IV in and left. A short time later I was in the room by myself, resting and I looked down at my arm and it was all swelled up like a balloon. I called for help and a different nurse rushed in and gasped and quickly removed the IV and put it in my other arm.

Mama2JoshKatie

Answer by Mama2JoshKatie at 2:30 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I'm a phlebotomist (for the moment), and I've had a couple of funky professional experiences.
    At the hospital where I work, we get a lot of druggies who come in. I had a woman who was a former heroin addict (a phlebotomist's WORST nightmare!!). After 18 sticks, we STILL couldn't get her. Every single person in the lab had tried, and we had to go get nurses to try, because there is a 2 stick max per person drawing. It was nuts!
    When I was a corpsman in the navy, I was working with a nurse on a patient, and we were getting a blood sample from her, because she had just come back from Africa, and was having weird symptoms that were boggling the docs. The nurse said that all the sharps were cleared from the sterile field, so I balled it up in my hands, and stuck my hand with a needle she'd forgotten!! I tried not to panic, and luckily, everything turned out okay for me, but it scared the hell out of me!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:07 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I became a phlebotomist b/c of my bad experience. When I was 18, I went to get on birth control. B/c I'd never had a pap or anything, they decided they wanted to draw blood and do everything. The girl, and I do mean girl, she couldn't have been more than a yr older than me, if that, they sent in told me "I'm new at this, but I'm really good, so don't worry." I have a horrific fear of needles (no problem sticking others, but can't watch it being done to me, can't even be told they're about to do it), so I look away. She sticks in the needle, then says, "oops". After the sixth stick & oops, I said I wanted the most experienced person they had to do it. She sticks me 3 times with 2 oops, finally getting it on the 3rd try. I have very small veins that are very deep, but still...I never went back there. con't...
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:14 AM on Dec. 18, 2008