What is the appropriate punishment for a teen sneaking out at night.

wagners7

Asked by wagners7 at 9:52 PM on Jul. 14, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• well in my house it was moving that teen to the second floor and saying "now try and jump out the window." If that is not an option then I would think very hard before you come up with something. i think kids that jump out are looking for something they might not be getting at home so opening the line of communication would be my first thought. I would also ground them from seeing friends and let them know if they get caught again there will be more punishment to come.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:55 PM on Jul. 14, 2011

• Thanks, got the grounding covered but not sure how long is the right amount. Not certain this was the first time either, but she was caught fairly quickly. She is already on the 2nd floor, not sure how she got out with out us noticing the alarm chime because all doors and chimes were still on and locked. Took the computer and cell phone away also, since she left to hang with friends, I thought we would try to eliminate all contact for awhile.
    wagners7

Comment by wagners7 (original poster) at 9:59 PM on Jul. 14, 2011

• The good news is that you found out that your teen was sneaking out. There is no way your teen might try to commit another infraction.
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 10:01 PM on Jul. 14, 2011

• I wouldn't block the window because it's a fire hazard but I would do everything in my power to make her miserable. She wouldn't leave the house without my permission, if she had car keys they would be mine, she wouldn't have access to any money she might have, and she wouldn't be allowed to watch TV, have access to the computer, cellphone, or any hand held games she might own. If it's a first time offense then I would keep that punishment for about two weeks and then let her earn your trust back. (I'm assuming your child is female, since you didn't specify a gender)

That didn't work on me but hopefully you're not as stupid as my mother and your child is not as stubborn as I was.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 10:06 PM on Jul. 14, 2011

• You can threaten her with calling the police and reporting her as a runaway. If you know where she is going have the offices check there first and they will arrest her and put her in the squad car and either take her to the booking cent where you have to go pick her up or they will bring her back home. My mom had to report my sister almost every night for almost 2 years. This tactic didn't work on my sister but it may scare another kid straight. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:11 PM on Jul. 14, 2011

• She is a 13 year old girl and yes she is pretty stubborn and unfortunetely takes after me....I see the road she is headed down and don't know how to stop it. My mother was absentee so didn't notice or care what I did. All electronics gone, grounded (although in the heat of the moment, I told her to say goodbye to her friends for the rest of the summer and for us that's Sept. 9th) In hindsight probably overkill, but her whatever attitude makes me want to scream.
    wagners7

Comment by wagners7 (original poster) at 10:11 PM on Jul. 14, 2011

• Take her door off her room. No privacy until she proves that she can be trusted again...
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 11:44 PM on Jul. 14, 2011

• The cane .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 12:03 AM on Jul. 15, 2011

• I would take her door it's a little hard to be sneaking when you can look in whenever you want and if anyone tells you that her privacy is important the only thing she needs privacy in a room is to change and as my mom told me i can do that in the bathroom
    krissii

Answer by krissii at 3:10 AM on Jul. 15, 2011

• My mom kicked me out of the house when I was like 16, then my dad kicked me out when I was 17. I moved back when I was 19, but got so used to being on my own I quickly moved back out a cpl months later. It made me a better person, and NOT dependent on mom and dad. Not saying that is/was the best thing to do, but it worked for me. I am better because of it.
    Nehls_Bells

Answer by Nehls_Bells at 10:29 AM on Jul. 15, 2011