Only child

Do you think my son will have problems since he is an only child?

princess_87

Asked by princess_87 at 1:38 AM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i certainly hope not, mine is, too. what kind of probs do you fear? my son is very outgoing, loves to be right in the mix of a group of people, he plays well by himself, he figures things out faster than i realize. i think he's exceptional. the better ? for me is , will i have problems that my son is an only child?? yes..i'd like him to know siblings, and to be able to have someone around all the time..especially as he ages, and we, his parents, age. i hate the thought of all those old-parent things being on just his shoulders, alone.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 1:53 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Problems in preschool? Probably not,

Answer by gdiamante at 2:06 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I'm not sure what kind of problems you are concerned about, but I'm going to say he will probably not have problems. I am an only child. I was a perfectly normal child, and now a perfectly normal adult. The only problem you could run into (and my mother had this problem) is that if you don't have friends for him at home, you may find that he is very shy at school and has some trouble with sharing, but both of those are easily remedied.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:06 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Every kid will have some kind of problems to deal with at some point, but how they are dealt with is what makes them into the adult they will become. There are plenty of benefits to being an only child, just as there are benefits to every different family size. For an only child, I would make sure he gets time to play with other kids outside of the school setting; group free-play is a learning experience. I would also make sure he has opportunities to think about others before himself; it's important for a child to learn that other people's needs and desires are important. My oldest was an only for 11 years; she is very generous and giving, and for that I am proud. With my twins it is too early to tell, but I can already see we will have very different challenges with them (fighting and sharing are already huge issues!).
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:56 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I am very impressed with these answers- the stereotypical "only child syndrome" is finally starting to go out the door. I belong to a Moms of Onlies group on here that is a great group of women. Come on in and ask any questions you'd like. The only way your child will have a problem, is if you treat it like a problem. But if you treat it like a wonderful thing, and that they are special for being an only- it should be fine. I just got done reading "Parenting and Only Child" by Susan Newman- it blows all stereotypes away, and gives you wonderful reasons for keeping your child an "only". You should check to see if your library has it.
    abigail824

Answer by abigail824 at 9:08 PM on Dec. 19, 2008