10 year old boy to diaper baby

My grandson has been informed that he will be diapering his brand new sister with cloth diapears abd so rge duaper pins, Any feelings about this,? James is terrified , He changes just fine with the disposable but he is afraid he will hurt her with the pins.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:24 AM on Jul. 15, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• My cloth diapers have snaps its just like changing a disposable maybe you can talk to your daughter about using those. But I agree with most he shouldn't have to do it at all its not his child.
    lazycervix

Answer by lazycervix at 11:39 PM on Jul. 17, 2011

• Why does he have to change his sister's diaper. Did he create her? I hate when people push parenting responsibilities on their other children. It would be a different story if he WANTED to do it, but it seems he doesn't if he is terrified.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:05 AM on Jul. 15, 2011

• Practicing is definitely the way to go but I'm surprised their using pins. I thought most modern cloth diapers were velcro and fitted (we use disposables so I've only seen them in pictures).
    There's nothing wrong with him changing diapers. All 3 of my older kids were expected to change diapers when their baby brother was born last year (not as a newborn but once he got to be a couple months old or so). They are an 11yo girl (10 when he was born), 9yo boy and an 8yo girl. The 5yo girl helps but can't change a diaper on her own especially now that he tries to crawl away. They usually tag team him and they change him without me asking. They aren't "raising" him. They are being good big brother and sisters and helping take care of him.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:11 PM on Jul. 15, 2011

• I do not think I would expect my ten year old to diaper my new born. But I also do not think it is poor parenting to have your older children assist. There are many Eco friendly alternatives to the pins and cloth version of the decades past. Perhaps browsing cloth and other new cloth Eco diapers sold in most health food stores can give his parents some ideas of diapers that do not require pins. Many newer ones have snaps. This way older brother can assist from time to time and neither he nor the new baby will be pricked by a pin.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:08 AM on Jul. 15, 2011

• You dont have to use pens on cloth diapers. I used cloth diapers on my youngest when I coudnt afford the disposable one and all I did was place the plastic underpant things over the cloth after I got it situated on. Ta-da, NO pens and the diaper stays on :)
    Nehls_Bells

Answer by Nehls_Bells at 8:48 AM on Jul. 15, 2011

• I hurt the baby I was babysitting so I can see why he is scared.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 1:33 AM on Jul. 15, 2011

• I babysat for someone who used cloth diapers, and I did not care for them or having to use diaper pins.....
    What your grandson can do to get more comfortable with using cloth diapers is to practice diapering a stuffed animal or doll. That way he can get used to using pins and how to do it so baby does not get poked by a pin. Then when he has 'mastered' it or feels comfortable he will be able to help diaper baby sis.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:49 AM on Jul. 15, 2011

• show him how to place his hand in between the skin and the diaper as he is pinning the diaper and have his use teddy bears first
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:58 AM on Jul. 15, 2011

• I was going to suggest what MizLee suggested...practice diapering a doll. When we were taught in our Home and Careers class in 7th grade we were taught to put our hand between the diaper and the baby while pinning the diaper, that way we couldn't hurt the baby. Maybe giving him this tip will alleviate a lot of that anxiety he has.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:59 AM on Jul. 15, 2011

• I agree , if he has to do it have him practice on a doll and show him the right way to do it. But why does he have to be the one to change her ?
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 3:56 AM on Jul. 15, 2011