sleeping on stomach....is it ok?

my 6 month old relized he could sleep on his stomach and now refuses to sleep on his back.....just rolls right over. sometimes when i go to check on him his face is almost straight down on the crib mattress....he's just sleeping away. is this ok, should i be worried? is he at a higher risk for sids?

bugsmommee

Asked by bugsmommee at 1:51 AM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes he is. There were flyers all over the hospital where I gave birth that reminded moms to make sure their babies sleep on their backs to reduce SIDS.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 1:56 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Don't worry about it, if he is able to roll back and forth then he should be alright,
    Trinity32188

Answer by Trinity32188 at 2:00 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• my daughter ALWAYS slept on her tummy..and she never had any problems..i guess technically yes, it is a risk...but if he can roll from his tummy to his back and his back to his tummy, then he should be ok
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:21 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• well i know that they are supposed to sleep on there backs ... i never put him to sleep on his stomach....... but know he won't stay on his back and rolls over himself......should i wake him and flip him over everytime?
    bugsmommee

Answer by bugsmommee at 2:22 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Around that age is when my son would only sleep on his belly. I put him in his crib on his back but the second I let go he's on his stomach again. I asked the doctor about this and she told me that it's fine for him to sleep on his belly when he can roll over. There really is no way to stop them from rolling over in the middle of the night. I tried the things that go on each side and he could still roll over. Of course I still worry sometimes but I would be up all night if I tried to flip him over every time he rolled over.
    yunglovers143

Answer by yunglovers143 at 2:58 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• At six months and able to roll, he should be ok. My children weren't back sleepers either. I tried and tried and all I accomplished was waking them up from a peaceful sleep. Just make sure he has appropriate bedding and won't get tangled.
    MidnightMama911

Answer by MidnightMama911 at 3:03 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Once they can roll let them do it....just put him down on his back and let him put himself on his belly.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 4:14 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• it perfectly ok. You may want to adjust his head sometimes if it's facing directly into the matress, but other than that is shouldnt be a problem. Our 7 month old daughter started sleeping rolling over when she was like 4-5 months so...

Anyways, good luck!
    hirschichocolat

Answer by hirschichocolat at 5:35 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• At our 6 month check up the pediatrician said it was okay that he was rolling on his tummy or side to sleep. Just dont have alot of stuffed animals or large blankets he could get smothered by
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 6:35 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Always put him on his back in bed, but if he flips there isn't much you can do about it at this age. Make sure his crib is safe, no fluffy toys or blankets. If it makes you feel better you could but a movement monitor.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:14 PM on Dec. 18, 2008