Is Geography taught in school anymore?

Where is spain? Where is Portugal? What continent are they close to?

Asked by 35yoamom at 3:26 AM on Jul. 15, 2011 in Travel

• I am a high school History teacher in a public school. I care a great deal about my students. It is easy for some to say such nasty comments when they have no clue as to what goes on in a classroom. I love teaching and I take great pride in the fact that when my kids leave my classroom, they have receieved a high quality education.

Answer by tracimed at 10:20 AM on Jul. 15, 2011

• Portugal is here:
    Spain is here:
    European continent

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 3:33 AM on Jul. 15, 2011

• i think they teach it really young bc my geography skills suck too and i got a BA degree!

Answer by jenni_j at 3:36 AM on Jul. 15, 2011

• Geography is taught in the 6th grade in our district. My son won the geography award this year for ace-ing all tests given in the class.

Answer by CometGirl at 8:51 AM on Jul. 15, 2011

• 8.9 miles separate Africa from Spain.

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 3:52 AM on Jul. 15, 2011

• yeah

Answer by B00boo at 8:38 AM on Jul. 16, 2011

• I think it is taught either in Middle School or High School

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 10:15 AM on Jul. 19, 2011

• My daughter and I were just talking yesterday about how bad the teaching is in schools today.
    They can try to cover up with test scores and all that bs but....we've seen first hand for 12 very long years that way too many teachers are teaching because it was easier to decide to just be a teacher when people really do not know what they want to do....they can always teach and also because of this...too many people are teaching who aren't good at it, not fully interested in it and it's just a job to them. My daughter had so many teachers throughout the years that didn't really give a flying flip about their students. If your heart isn't in it...then you won't be wonderful at anything. It was very frustrating all the way through. We think public edu is in the toilet!

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 3:39 AM on Jul. 15, 2011