does sweeping of membranes work to induce labor@37 wks..i am miserable!!!

elsieo

Asked by elsieo at 1:53 AM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Pregnancy

• It will help
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:02 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• yes it will help but not all the time and its pretty uncomfortable- it hurts...i had it done....2x..... the second time it dilated me another cm which was just enough for my docter to decide to induce me. i was 38 weeks, but my doctor knew my baby was large so she thought it was best to get him out at that time. My mother is an obgyn.... she said usually doctor tend not to do it at 37 just because there is a good chance your water could break then....which could be a good thing but technically 37 weeks though your baby could be ready to face the world it is not full term. i know its miserable...hang in there! i had a 9.5 baby...towards the end i felt like my vagina was going to fall through! and i know you don't want to hear this right now...but try to relax and enjoy the last couple moments of pregancy...its the last time you have your baby all to yourself....soon you'll have to share them with everyone! good luck
    bugsmommee

Answer by bugsmommee at 2:16 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• YOu need to wait til you are further along...your baby needs to bake a little while longer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:22 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• what is up with all these post tonight.
    i am sorry to sound bitchy but this is like the 100th.
    if you can go see my post called y. youll see why i am upset.
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 2:41 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• An infection would be even *more* miserable...and dangerous. And it's a very sure risk of sweeping membranes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:02 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Why do so many people want to try to self induce so early. Just because they say your baby is fully developed at 37 weeks. Does not mean... YOUR BABY is. Your EDD can be off by two weeks, on either end. Induction is not necessary... unless there is a medical need. Like, late, or medical complications that could be unhealthy to you and your baby. Personally, the sound of stripping/sweeping membranes does not sound good. You might be miserable, but that is a sacrifice you should be willing to make for the health of your child. Being a mother is full of sacrifices.. so you might as well get used to it now.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:47 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• It can help, but your cervix needs to be ripe (effacing and dilating) already for it to work. They can't even get in there to do it unless you've dilated some, since they need to get their finger through the cervix. You can ask if they'll do a "rough exam," which can irritate the cervix and sometimes helps move things along, but honestly, time is the best thing (I know that's NO consolation to a full term mommy to be). Hang in there, and walk and have sex like crazy, mama!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:19 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• ouch! I had it done once and I was in labor 24 hours later, but I have heard it dosent work with everyone. I would never do it again!
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 6:33 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Well...I had it done yesterday at about 4PM, and so far...NOTHING. I'm 39.5 weeks. No contractions, no BH, nothing at all has happened. I haven't even spotted.

So I don't think it works like magic for everyone.
    And you really should want to keep that baby inside for a little while longer. It's what's best.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:53 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I had it done with my daughter. I was already dilated and the doctor asked if I wanted to have it done. I am not doing it this time though, it was awful and I was in labor for longer than I should have been.
    jessieS

Answer by jessieS at 11:24 AM on Dec. 18, 2008