Would you consider me a Christian?

I believe what I'm "supposed" to believe in order to be a Christian (ex: believing that Jesus is the son of God, he died for our sins, accepting him as my Lord and savior). But, I don't really believe in free will. I believe certain things were meant to just happen. Like, if my ex never cheated on me (sin), I wouldn't have met my current boyfriend. If we never had premarital sex (sin), our son wouldn't have been born. And I'm sorry but I think humans aren't accidents. I think every person is meant to be. And maybe some of the things that happen along the way... What do you think?

madrigalreject

Asked by madrigalreject at 2:39 AM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I still think your a christian and I do think you are right about your son. BUT I think he would have been born regardless if you were married, un married, with someone else. He was meant to be. God wanted HIM here. It was your free will to choose to have him THEN.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:43 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Um..............no free will? So you are of the "we are robots" school of thought?

Either you believe that we capable of making our own decisions or not. Why would, after already having the complete adoration of the angelic choir, God create this glorious earth and just fill it with automatons that He can move around like chess pieces?

Look - the guy who cheated on you? CHOSE TO DO SO. Yup - nobody "made" him - he made a choice. Your faith can help you get through the tough times but God in His heaven is not sitting up there just messing around with people's lives. God does not cause bad things to happen, He gives us strength and carries us through the bad times.

As for the whole revelation that you have to have sex to have a child? Not exactly news and that has nothing to do with free will. It has to do with egg and sperm.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 3:58 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I will not say if you are or are not because I do not know the condition of your heart. The book of first John is a good place to read and see if you align up to salvation. It mentions many many traits of saved people. I can remember one being that you are deeply grieved by your sin and must repent. If you would like a link for a teaching on it let me know.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 4:06 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Yes, you're a Christian. All that's required is a belief that Christ is the Son of God who died for your sins. The rest is semantics.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:22 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I have to agree with Collen about your heart's condition. You do have Christian beliefs, but a true follower of Christ doesn't go around sinning willfully.

If we didn't have free will, God would be a co-conspirator in our sin. The results of all of our choices are made into something marvelous by God if we accept and obey Jesus.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:11 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I agree, I don't know the way your heart is, but we do have free will, the free will to choose to do right or wrong. God gave us this, so it is up to us to decide if we are going to believe in him, or not. I understand how you feel the way you do about your husband cheating and finding someone good, but still you had the free will to choose that other person, right? So, I say, we all have free will, to choose right and wrong, believe or not believe. I see nothing wrong with that!
    Freda01

Answer by Freda01 at 8:21 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I think some things in our life path is "supposed" to happen. And other things we have some leg room with. LOL. If you are meant to have a child, you will have one somehow, someway, because this soul will find a way in. If you're meant to experience a cheater husband, you will. How you handle these situations is free will.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 8:41 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• And yes, I would consider you a Christian. Anyone who follows the teachings of Christ is a Christian. The other stuff is man-made, not of God.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 8:47 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I would concider you Christian. You beleive in the Lord and beleive that some things are out of our control, In Gods Control..God has a plan for all of us. Not everyone has thesame one ..ya know...But thats just me. Whats importnat is the relationship with you and Jesus.I am just your sister in Christ...:)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

aMbeR012005

Answer by aMbeR012005 at 11:20 AM on Dec. 18, 2008