How do I get rid of a stale smoke/cigarette smell?

When we moved in here in March, every room had to be stripped of wall paper and carpet, as the previous owners were VERY heavy smokers, we left the hallway as it didn't seem too bad in there, but we washed the walls before painting over them, but sometimes when I walk into the house I can still smell stale smoke, I've used air freshners, plug in air freshners, and I have the windows open daily to try and get rid of the smell, please help! It's so annoying having it smell like smoke because no one living here smokes!

kylie_bob

Asked by kylie_bob at 8:13 AM on Jul. 15, 2011 in Home & Garden

• You can call a company and they remove smells like service master clean. You can also try here

http://www.howtogetridofstuff.com/odor-removal/how-to-get-rid-of-cigarette-smoke-smell/2/

Answer by gemgem at 8:18 AM on Jul. 15, 2011

• Try washing your walls down with diluted vinegar!
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 8:16 AM on Jul. 15, 2011

• Fabreeze spray odor eliminator works great! Good luck!
    isismoon3

Answer by isismoon3 at 10:01 AM on Jul. 15, 2011

• If they lived there for YEARS...I'm sorry but the nicotine has slowly been absorbed in everything in that home. They sheetrock, not just the paint or paper on top, the floors, the wood...anything that is porous will absorb that smell. I can only imagine the yellowing that was probably on the paint or baseboards, trim etc.
    It's like a car that someone has smoked in for say 5 years , even less....the seats, the carpets, the roof, the plastic....not just the ventilation from a/c has absorbed the nicotine. Oh how I wish you had moved into a non-smoker home. I think you're going to have a tough time ever removing all that odor. People usually can't. I'm sorry. Some things may help but on humid or rainy days....the odor will waft back through the house. Not to mention your furnishings.
    Here is a link that might help some though! http://homeguides.sfgate.com/remove-cigarette-smell-apartment-1789.html
    Good Luck to you!
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 10:09 AM on Jul. 15, 2011

• http://lagunaniguelrealestate.org/blog/2007/05/how-to-remove-cigarette-smell-from-your.html

Here is an even better link.
    I just feel so bad for you , I would dread that every time I left and cam back home to find that smell. I would be ready for BATTLE...especially because I 'purchased" the home. Ugh.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 10:13 AM on Jul. 15, 2011

• Try leaving a bowl of vinegar somewhere it won't be seen, or a fabric softener sheet. My mother was a very heavy smoker, and 3 years after she moved into a nursing home, I could still smell smoke OUTSIDE the back door.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 7:19 PM on Jul. 15, 2011

• Thanks everyone, KellyGirl TX we're renting lol :) And they only lived here 6 months as far as I know, but they were very heavy smokers, about 60 a day from the colour of the walls when we moved in! It was disgusting! And it's so annoying, just one room remains smelly! And like you say it's only sometimes I can smell it! Thanks again ladies.
    kylie_bob

Comment by kylie_bob (original poster) at 1:49 PM on Jul. 15, 2011