Hylands Teething Tabs

I got these for my son cuz their natural...but how do they work? I tried them myself and they don't numb my mouth so what are they doing to help his? BTW it doesn't seem to help and ambesol has been working better. Anyone know?

britni11

Asked by britni11 at 2:55 AM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The teething tablets have homeopathic ingredients that are not intended to "numb" the pain, but to relieve the swelling, inflammation, pain, and irritability that occurs due to teething. Here is what each of the ingredients do: Calcarea phosphorica -- helps with dentition (teeth breaking through gums); Chamomilia -- helps with irritability; Coffea cruda -- helps relieve wakefulness; belladonna -- relieve redness and inflammation. My daughter cut her two bottom teeth about two months ago, and I LOVE this product. Keep in mind, that like most homeopathic remedies, ONE dose will not normally provide a great deal of relief--you should see some improvement by the second dose. I used this in combination with acetaminophen with great results for my little one!
    littlejreece

Answer by littlejreece at 3:13 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• i dont know but it did help.
    i heard tho to be careful with it.
    some igrents are not ratioed out so there can be more of something in 1 tablet then others
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 2:58 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• They worked on DH LOL. He tried them out to see if they would work for DD and said they numbed him up. We stick 1 tablet at a time under her tongue and let it dissolve. Usually we do 2 or 3 tablets and she would go to sleep afterwards.

LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 3:00 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• BTW you can also try giving a little tylenol to help as well.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 3:01 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I think part of the reason that they work is because they have chamomile in them, which is naturally calming. I highly doubt that "some ingredients are not rationed out so there can be more of something in 1 tablet.."....Do you really think they make each pill individually?
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 3:15 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• i know there not that is why i said be careful i heard some babies ended up in the er from the teething tablets.
    I quite giving them to my kids when they kept getting a glazed over look and i litterly had to touch them to get there atten.
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 3:18 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I LOVE these. They have worked great for my son. I prefer only to use tylenol when I need to and I've heard that orajel can numb the back of the throat making it hard to know when to swallow causing choking/gagging on drool.I love the fact that it's natural. When I first started using them my son was 6 months and I would give him only 1 and now he's almost 11 months and I give him 2.
    yunglovers143

Answer by yunglovers143 at 4:12 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I just started using these at night with my dd as she is miserable while teething. I was worried that they had a sedative or something in them because she has been sleeping a solid 12 hours at night, but I looked on their website and that helped ease my mind.
    Check out this: http://www.hylands.com/news/teethinginfo.php
    I believe they just calm the baby that has been fussing and crying. And because they are so tired from crying they fall asleep. I would still use them in moderation. I only use 3 tablets right before bed.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 8:02 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• littlejreece is right on in her answer! They do not numb, they relieve pain. They most definately DO work for my daughter.

We generally see a decrease in fussiness with the first dose but she still is mouthing everything and then that decreases with the second dose. Be sure to follow dosing directions, as with any herbal treatment or non-herbal treatment.
    jaycee1124

Answer by jaycee1124 at 9:52 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I used them on my baby, but, I didn't think they helped much.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Dec. 18, 2008