Anyone ever had anything other then an epidural, or natural childbirth?

I'm looking at different options besides an epidural. I had one with my first and though I'm not against having another one, I would like to feel something this time around.. So I was wondering what other pain meds other moms have taken and how long they lasted. And if anyone has had an spinal and epidural combination. I don't go to my next ob appt for a few weeks and was just wanting some info from other moms..TIA

Jaedynnsmommy

Asked by Jaedynnsmommy at 3:00 AM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Pregnancy

• i had a spinal block which is stronger then epis
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 3:02 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• The reason the epidural is so popular for pain relief is 1) it is usually 100% effective and 2) it doesn't make the mother groggy. The latter is the reason many moms don't get other pain meds, they usually just dope you up and do nothing for the pain. I highly urge you to read up on natural birth options, there's more to it than just grinning and bearing it. Many techniques *do* work well to manage your pain.
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 3:03 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I opted to not have the narcotics, everyone I heard said they were either really out of it the whole time or were puking. I highly suggest sticking to the epidural. On my second child they did the spinal block so I had instant relief instead of having to wait for twenty minutes.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 3:04 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I wish I could answer this. I was induced with my first due to pre-eclamspia, and then an emergency c-section with my second. I cant say this much.. the pain I went through with the induction... I would take a c-section any day. It was a lot less painful!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:44 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I tried the Fentanyl, but it did almost NOTHING for me, so I ended up with an epidural. I had wanted to go natural, but it didn't happen. Plus, with the Fentanyl, they can give it to you hourly, but it's less effective as the doses continue (meaning, the first dose is the most effective). I did have horrible back labor, though, and it turned out my son's head was tilted (emergency c-section; also turned out his very long umbilical cord was wrapped around his torso twice, so when I would push, it would cut off his oxygen supply).
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:14 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I had IV drugs with my son, specifically Stadol. I would rather take that stuff again than ever get an epidural.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:01 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I was extremely doped up during my labor and I wish I hadn't been. I think if I had been more coherent I would have handled it better. I was given a shot of narcotic early on because my son was sitting on my siatic nerve and I was throwing up from it. Then, after he went into distress, they gave me a spianl and then an epidural. I ended up having an unplanned "urgent" c-section as my son was in such bad distress. During the CS, they gave me a shot of Demerol because I was shaking so badly. My son had the cord wrapped around his neck and due to all the drugs and the cord, he only had an APGAR score of 4. I really wish I'd been better prepared with natural methods of pain management. Mothers have been doing this for as long as time so there is something to be said for natural.
    Aidans_Mom915

Answer by Aidans_Mom915 at 9:34 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I had IV drugs at the beginning of my labor. (I'm not sure what they were, sorry!!!) They didn't reduce the pain, but instead myabe me very groggy and confused. My husband says I said a lot of crazy things lol. I ended up getting an epi after they gave my pitocin.
    ssheffey27

Answer by ssheffey27 at 9:50 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I know that having a natural childbirth is best but its not the best for me..I didn't really want a epidural the first time but after 26 hours of labor and no sleep or rest I would have taken anything.. This time I feel like I know what I'm in for and although I remember the pain and am not looking forward to it, I want something different...I just want something thats going to help with the pain and not take it all away...thanks for all the answers...
    Jaedynnsmommy

Answer by Jaedynnsmommy at 2:16 PM on Dec. 19, 2008