Anyone NOT foster the idea of Santa Claus?

I don't know why, but we never made Santa Claus a big deal around here. The kids know they get presents, for sure they know they get them from grandma and grandpa, and my daughter asked me for stuff for Christmas, not like can I ask Santa for her or something...she's 6. I think she knows it's fake, she just doesn't talk about it. Or maybe she doesn't know. Same thing with the tooth fairy, she wasn't completely convinced the tooth fairy wasn't me (or my very large friend Gantor in a tutu!!)

prettyrayray

Asked by prettyrayray at 3:02 AM on Dec. 18, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• lol* i knew santa wasnt real in 1st grade...
    and the tooth fairy.
    my mil talkes about santa that is it tho really.
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 3:07 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• My dh and I have never told that lie to our kids. They've always known that Santa does not exist, that they get their presents from us, and that we work hard for the money to give them the gifts they receive.
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 3:18 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I'm a new mother and I will not be teaching my son about Santa. I asked my MIL how to handle it and she told her kids that there was once a man named St. Nick and Santa is the spirit of giving at Christmastime. I feel that if I make him believe in a person who is not, he'll feel betrayed when he gets older like my husband did when he found out. My MIL decided after that to not teach her last two kids about santa.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 3:25 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I'm not doing Santa with my son. He's 2, this is his 3rd Christmas. He doesn't understand right now anyway, but I decided to not do the whole Santa thing with him when he gets older. I'm sure my parents will pitch a fit about it thou, because my sister and brother in law are doing Santa with my niece, when she gets older, so I'm sure that will complicate things. He'll want to know why Santa brings his cousin presents and not him. So we'll see what happens later.
    britngavin

Answer by britngavin at 6:44 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• We weren't going to do Santa but my MIL ruined that plan by telling the boys Santa brought them presents and handed them gifts.
    thats_karma

Answer by thats_karma at 3:39 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• We told the kids that Santa is for fun....

It's perfectly fine if they want to pretend he's real, I could care less! They pretend Hulk is real too. I just wanted them to be aware of the reason WE celebrate the holidays at our house.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:44 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• we told our daughter the truth about st nicholas. she understands the presents labeled 'from santa' are from us, or grandparents in the spirit of st nick. our son will know too when he is older.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 9:26 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• We incorporate santa for fun but my kids dont think and were never taught he is real. He dont do the tooth fairy thing at all. They know about St.Nick.
    NorahSethsMommy

Answer by NorahSethsMommy at 12:48 AM on Dec. 19, 2008

• At our house, only stockings are from Santa. We taught the girls (3 and 5) the history of the real St. Nick and kinda left it at that, we don't make a huge deal. Last year dd then almost 5 asked if Santa was real, and I asked her what she thought (I didn't want to lie to her, but I still wanted the mystery of santa!) I don't even remember what she said to that, so obviously not a big deal!
    livandemsmamma

Answer by livandemsmamma at 6:37 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• I told my daughter that santa was d helper of GOD........
    Aaliehs

Answer by Aaliehs at 9:04 AM on Jan. 8, 2009