Is this a good sewing machine?

I'm looking for a sewing machine (my first) and I have a budget of about $175. Is this a good one?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4764726

mom2sophia711

Asked by mom2sophia711 at 3:36 AM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Hobbies & Crafts

• That is the sewing machine I have and I love it! It is a wonderful one! I did buy mine from Walmart. My mom was a seemstress and she loved Brother sewing machines. Infact, she had one similar to that one as well. Walmart isnt a bad place to buy a sewing machine. They just dont offer the same things JoAnns does. JoAnns is a craft store unlike walmart that is an everything store :) Good Luck!
    mymiracleboy

Answer by mymiracleboy at 10:40 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I have a Brother that I really love, but it has the embroidery machine with it. This looks like a really good one though.
    momtotwins

Answer by momtotwins at 4:08 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• my mom has a brother and so does my grandma...i think its the only kind that they will buy.
    ljsmamma07

Answer by ljsmamma07 at 5:53 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Not sure about the "brother" brand... but I've been told NOT to purchase a sewing machine from Wal-mart. When I was in the market for a machine, I joined a sewing group here on CM and met a lot of pro sewers! :-) And there was a lot of complaints about machines from Wal-mart. The best name-brand out there is Singer... check out Sears or Jo-Ann Fabrics for some good sewing machines. My mom purchased my machine from Jo-Ann Fabrics and so far it's been great. She spent about $150 and I also got a free training/demo class from Jo-Ann to learn more about my machine!
    cmy3kids

Answer by cmy3kids at 9:22 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I have a brother and while it was good at first, it's not so good now. I keep telling my husband I need a new one. I also don't want to fork out a lot for one right now either. I would say check out the machine and person and think about what you want to do and are capable of doing and what you can learn to do before making your decision.
    jennmarie77

Answer by jennmarie77 at 7:34 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Heres the skinny... My sis works for 4-H. so she bought like 12 machines from wal mart. The Brother thats like $88.00. They either work great right out of the box OR they don't. If it doesn't take it back and get another one. I bought one and have had no problems. Its not worth making such a big investment esp if its your first one.. you may use it every day or only once a year.. the Brother is the way to go for an entry level machine.

Walmart has the best price adn the easiest return policy. Just keep your recipt...Good Luck!
    CocoMason

Answer by CocoMason at 11:20 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• NO, Please do not buy a brother! or a singer from wm. I bought one of each one came out of the box broken and the other broke within a month! I bought a $500 babylock machine on ebay for $180! it is AMAZING!\
    lovemyznz

Answer by lovemyznz at 3:36 PM on Dec. 20, 2008

• i have had three brothers; only one still works. i finally bought a pfaff. have u seen this one, it is called a short arm machine: www.quilterswarehouse.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=AFE2008
    CookieZenmilk

Answer by CookieZenmilk at 8:02 PM on Dec. 23, 2008

• When I first started quilting my DH purchased me a Singer from WM... it didn't last 6 months, then he purchased me a Brother from WM... it didn't last two months...
    I then purchased a 6600 Janome Professional... it has lasted 2 years and counting... You get what you pay for.. its worth investing in a good machine at the begining, it will help you in so many ways.
    You don't have to purchase one as expensive as mine, however, many top brands sell lower models for not much more than the ones at WM and have good service guarantees and waranty's.
    Hope this helps.
    dk
    deenakate

Answer by deenakate at 6:39 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I strongly suggest going to a sewing machine dealer. They will let you try all the machines. They will have many different price ranges. Some dealers even have used machines that are more cost effective. They will also be a big help after you buy your machine from answering questions and service for your machine. And... if you really like sewing they will often take your machine on a trade for an upgrade! BONUS!!!
    steamtrain1003

Answer by steamtrain1003 at 11:56 PM on Jan. 20, 2009