How do you wake your children up for school?

I always put on some music in the living room and then go to their rooms and call their names and turn on the lights. My kids don't move too fast in the morning so I get them up at 6 am even though the bus doesn't come til 7:55 so they have plenty of time to get going. The first 15-20 minutes they sit in the living room and listen to the music to wake up. When they start singing, then I have them begin breakfast.

Babylove76

Asked by Babylove76 at 7:21 AM on Dec. 18, 2008 in General Parenting

• I hate how my SO wakes me up - running around the house yelling his head off!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 7:39 AM on Dec. 24, 2008

• I turn their lights on dim and then bounce into the room saying "good morning sunshine". My oldest responds with "good morning to you too mom" and my youngest says "are you drunk? don't you know that sleeping feels good."
    Dani32

Answer by Dani32 at 7:57 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Mine are 4, 3 and 2...they wake up on their own at 6:30. On the rare occasion I do have to get them up at 7, I walk in and say, "Hi sweetie". That's pretty much is all it takes......for now. LOL

(the younger two have therapy sessions some mornings so they have to be up by 7 so they've eaten and are dressed by 8)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:17 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I don't, they all wake themselves up.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:19 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• My kids are 4 and under and the girls wake up happily on their own and I have to wake my son. Usually the girls, we'll the 3 yr old will sing with me, "Rise and shine and give God the Glory" They love this in the mornings and I see my son smiling while pretneding to sleep still!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 10:09 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I throw cold water on them...lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• DH wakes them up... It takes a few minutes for me to wake up and not be evil. You wouldn't want THAT waking you up!
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 10:57 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• My younger two wake up on their own (too early, IMO...) and for my daughter I just turn on her light. For my other two boys, I have to turn on the hall light b/c one of them has sensory processing disorder and can't handle the light first thing. Occasionally I have to tickle them to get them moving.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• My daughter still sleeps with me...she will usually wake up a little bit to my alarm clock but either lay there or go back to sleep while I take my shower and get my coffee going. She usually comes out on her own...If not I will holler for her (usually from the bathroom) to come get ready for breakfast. She is easy to get woken up though.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 1:14 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• My 12 yr old has an alarm clock, he's always been easy....
    My 6 yr old is a bear in the morning, he rolls over and says "I'm tired, do I have to"?
    My 5 and 6 yr old share a room so I don't turn on the light, my 5 yr old starts school in the fall so he doesn't have to get up. So I sit on the bed by my 6 yr old and talk to him. It's funny because when he gets up he turns the light on,lol So our 5 yr old gets up anyway.
    My 6 yr old always makes sure his clothes are out the night before because he knows he doesn't function well enough in the morning to do it. When our 5 yr old starts school then I will get them a funny alarm clock. That's what I did for our 12 yr old and he's great about getting up...
    cheryl4martin

Answer by cheryl4martin at 1:28 PM on Dec. 18, 2008