If someone were to walk up to you in a parking lot and ask you for help would you help them?

several months ago a man came up to us while we were in Wal-Mart parking lot and asked us if we could help him with paying for a taxi so he could go and see his GF in the hospital-now see 1st it was GF then it was Fiance-he was drunk and his eyes were bloodshot..we told him no but we'd give him a ride to the hospital and he didnt want that...he tried to give us car keys to a Lexus that didnt run and had no plates...so after maybe an hour of arguing with this man we gave him 20 dollars an left the parking lot...his story kept changing and you could only see what he was up to...

poobear5

Asked by poobear5 at 7:23 AM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Just for Fun

• I have given strangers money. Not drunk belligerent strangers like you are describing. I had a woman in a gas station ask for 5 bucks for gas. I knew she wasn't a crackhead because I saw her try the credit card slot and her card didn't work. If someone seems genuine and down and out I will help them.
    beforeyoureyes

Answer by beforeyoureyes at 8:11 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• It depends on the circumstances, in this case absolutely not. He's not giving an accurate story, and chances are he just wanted more money to drink. Gotta love living in Chicago...........you have to think about those things. Now, if someone needed to make a phone call or something, I'd have no problem helping...........I've done it before.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 7:39 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• In the situation you describe, no I wouldn't have. In fact, I wouldn't have stood there with him for an hour, personally. If someone asked for help, and the story really seemed legit, depending on what kind of help they wanted/needed, I would help. I mean, if they needed money and I just didn't have it, there's nothing I can do. And I probably wouldn't give a ride, simply b/c I am paranoid about strangers. But, change for a drink for a thirsty child, or a jump start for their car, something relatively simple, and that wouldn't put me in a potentially risky position, yeah, I would.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:50 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I have a car that likes to loose its charge when it wants to, and in every instance someone has offered to give me a jump, and if i had to ask for a jump, everytime they have helped. on the other hand if someone needed something ,i would do what i could to help as long as i didnt feel there was a danger.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:01 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• depends upon the situation. If i can truly see that the person is having car trouble & i could assist probally. I had a friend offer a ride to a stranger & after he got into the car, he put a knife to her throat & robbed her.He had a suite on, clean cut, didnt look like a thug or street bum like you would exspect, just a business man. You got to be careful. it doesnt matter where you are at, people sometimes arnt always nice & what you expect of them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:07 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• It depends on the situation. If I knew them, then yes I would. If I did not know them, no I wouldn't. There are a lot of people out to get you during the Holiday season.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 8:21 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• If it is someone genuine and i think they are then yes i would, i like being able to help people who are less fortunate then me.
    Mummytomore

Answer by Mummytomore at 8:24 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Depends...I wouldn't hand $20 to a stranger...I maybe would have called them a ride and paid them directly, but that sounds like a huge line of BS the guy was feeding you. I would be much more likely to help someone who needed directions, a recommendation, someone who was a few dollars short on their groceries...something like that.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:45 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• My husband and I went out to a bar downtown a few years ago. An older gentleman, drunk, stumbled up to us after closing time...probably 3 30, 4 am.....and asked for money. He didn't make up excuses or anything, just flat out said, "Can I have some cash". We gave him a few of the single bills we had on us and got in our car to leave. He followed us, screaming through the window the whole time that he could see we had more and he wanted it. My husband finally said, "Dude. I gave you money. Whats left is my wifes White Castle money. Back off." and we drove off. It was crazy. Probably very stupid on our part, but it was around Christmas time and everyone is in the "giving spirit" so my husband did what he felt was right....it could have turned out bad, though. People are nuts!
    LilMae.N.MDJr

Answer by LilMae.N.MDJr at 8:54 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• In that situation no. If they are only wanting my money and not a ride or other help from me and can't even keep their story straight then they are just trying to scam you. And I def wouldn't have stood in the parking lot argueing.. I would have offered the ride and once he declined I would have gotten in my car and driven away. We both know what he used that money for. Now if someone really was in need of help, I would without hesitation, as long as it was within my abilities.
    TilmannsGirl

Answer by TilmannsGirl at 8:59 AM on Dec. 18, 2008