Can you take B12 while pregnant?

I've heard B12 suppliments do wonders to help build energy. Can I take a B12 suppliment in addition to my prenatals? Will it be okay to continue taking B12 when I get pregnant?

Ash09855

Asked by Ash09855 at 2:29 PM on Jul. 15, 2011 in Health

• My OB recommended B12 and Unisom as the first defense against morning sickness, so it's fine.

Answer by missanc at 2:31 PM on Jul. 15, 2011

• Yes, vitamin B12 is essential for producing blood cells and for maintaining and building a healthy nervous system. It exists in most foodstuffs, particularly in meat, fish and eggs. Vegans may need to supplement their diet with it.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 2:36 PM on Jul. 15, 2011

• Yes. When I was pregnant with my first, there was a prenatal out with extra B13 to help with morning sickness.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:42 PM on Jul. 15, 2011

• If you are taking prenatal vitamins, you shouldn't need to. But, yes you can.
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 3:00 PM on Jul. 15, 2011

• I was told i could take both prenatals and B12. It's one of those vitamins that is nearly impossible to overdose on...or so I was told. That's not to say you should go nuts and pop them like candy, but yes, safe.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 3:02 PM on Jul. 15, 2011

• YES my daughter's OB prescribed both B12 and prenatals.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:11 PM on Jul. 15, 2011

• I take a B vitamin compound that has a bunch of different B vitamins in one. It literally SAVED me from horrible morning sickness.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 3:31 PM on Jul. 15, 2011