According to the Marist Poll, Americans are split on whether Michelle will improve the role of first lady, with 41% of those polled saying she will and 41% saying she will not alter the position in any way. What do you think?

Is there a cause, you hope Michelle Obama takes on during President Obama's term in the White House?
Although Clinton was an activist and groundbreaking first lady, she also did all the traditional things first ladies do. And Laura Bush, while keeping a relatively low profile for most of her husband's tenure, became the administration's leading critic of Myanmar's military junta during the past year.
"Michelle is unlikely to head a major public-policy initiative in the style of Clinton, at least initially", says first-lady historian Myra Gutin, professor of communications at Rider University in Lawrenceville, N.J.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/2008-12-18-michelleobama-firstlady_N.htm

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:23 AM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I am sure that she and the President Elect will alter the position in any way that is most beneficial to them, not necessarily the Country.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:26 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I think she will be a wonderful First Lady.
    myame

Answer by myame at 9:47 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I'm expecting great things from her. She already has shown grace and class, and appears to be a good mother to her children.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:17 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• i think michelle will bring a lot to the 'job' of first lady.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:38 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I have no idea. I believe that the Clinton, (Laura) Bush have done a lot of good. I assume that as she is as educated and composed and a mother - she will do just fine.

The worst First Lady is Barb Bush, it would be way tough to do as suck ass of a job as she did.
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 11:41 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• w/ as much education & poise as she has im sure she'll do just fine. she is a great role model for all women & i wish her all the best. i know i couldnt handle being 1st lady!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:59 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I think she will do a good job. She said in an interview she wants to focus on support for military families. I would welcome her.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:11 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I don't know what would be considered 'improving the roll.' I would hope that she picks a cause that is dear to her heart and that she is passionate about. That always helps bring awareness to whatever cause they back. I suppose it would be better to ask this after 4 years, it's hard to tell what will happen in the future.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:48 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Fiveofakind2 I would like to know how you know so much about Barbara Bush? She was a wonderful first lady and her main cause was literacy. She has donated thousands of dollars to aid children in learning to read and is also active in the Mayo clinic. All of the proceeds from her book went to charity. Do you have a problem with reading?
    Scorpio359

Answer by Scorpio359 at 7:58 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I think Mrs.bama is going to a great job as first lady. I feel she should be welcomed and supported by all, not just because she said she is going to focus on your area of concern.
    Sis.Jackson

Answer by Sis.Jackson at 10:39 PM on Dec. 18, 2008