is this car seat ok?

my mother in law got a car seat from a friend who's youngest kid is like 15 (so the car seat is that old) its one of those that has a padded bar/tray like thing (I really cant explain it) its old fasion like. well the seat only has the buckles that come down from behind the sholder and then buckle between her legs it doesnt have the ones that come from the side of her legs. is that ok for an 18 month old or is that for a bigger kid or what?

NDAUGHERTY

Asked by NDAUGHERTY at 4:58 PM on Jul. 13, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I believe car seats are considered expired after 8 years or so..... someone correct me if I'm wrong......
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 4:59 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• I would choose something more updated just simply because they go by todays safety guidelines
    JustinScottsMom

Answer by JustinScottsMom at 5:01 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• thats pretty much what i think to. but i kinda wanted some info to back up when I tell her.
    NDAUGHERTY

Answer by NDAUGHERTY at 5:07 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• Yea, if it were me I would not use it. They have added a lot of safety features on the newer car seats that the older ones do not have.
    redtang912

Answer by redtang912 at 8:13 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• Carseats expire after 7 years and they should be thrown away if they have ever been in a car accident. There should be a date on the bottom... look real hard its not easy to find.
    summerbudbud

Answer by summerbudbud at 8:25 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• actually, most car seats expire after SIX years... some have up to NINE.. (but those are the newer, high-end ones).. So, definitely do not use it. The reason why you shouldn't use expired car seats is because the plastic breaks down.. Here's a crash test video of an expired car seat:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvCRz7BRAM0
    MAMAtoTW0

Answer by MAMAtoTW0 at 8:59 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• That car seat expired a long time ago! Who knows what that seat may have gone through. Ditch it! A five point harness is always safer than those with the three point harness. You can find your little one a new, safe seat for a pretty reasonable price. The next time your MIL gives you a hand me down like that, just say thanks, but no thanks!
    lovinmystar

Answer by lovinmystar at 10:06 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• I say that is for a bigger child, they have came along way with car seat's, and there are alot safer car seat's now than back then, try to get another one,and ifcan't aford one call your local church they might be able to help you. good luck.
    sillybabys

Answer by sillybabys at 1:14 AM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I don't even think they make that kind anymore, they were found to be unsafe.
    MomOfTwo1978

Answer by MomOfTwo1978 at 6:47 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Car seats with the tray's across them are very unsafe. If your in a car accident the child can suffer major head trauma from hitting the bar. And also car seats do expire after 6 years. They have an expiration date molded in to the plastic in the back or underneath them. I hope this information helps.
    Haynes_mommy

Answer by Haynes_mommy at 12:02 AM on Sep. 16, 2008