How can I get my 10 year old daughter to clean up her pig sty of a room???

Adria71

Asked by Adria71 at 8:28 AM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• As a child, this is what my mom did and it worked. Anything that I left laying around, she would put in a hamper/box/bin that was completely off limits to me and would not give it back to me for a couple of weeks. I got much better about picking up and did so quickly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:30 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Its really all about connecting with her. Dont yell at her, because it just makes them mad and not want to listen to you. Try making it a special time that you two spend together. You both can clean her room together and bond. And maybe afterward yall can go out for ice cream or a movie or something. hopefully that works.
    senior2009

Answer by senior2009 at 9:01 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• What I do with my kids is they have 1 hour to clean their room and put everything away properly (they like to hide everything under the bed) and anything left on the floor gets bagged up and thrown away.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:17 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• You clean it, and then pay yourself out of her allowance. When it hits them in the pocketbook it hurts! After all, in the real world if we want someone to clean our house, we have to pay them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I have tried bagging stuff up and taking it away from her and she doesn't even realize what is gone. I don't want to clean it with her because she expects me to do all the work. She doesn't get an allowance because she can't keep anything clean. From the minute she walks in the door I spend all night telling her to pick up everything she just lays around.
    Adria71

Answer by Adria71 at 11:52 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• so feel your pain Adria71!! My almost 9 yr old daughter is the same way! I have done everything you have done and its exhausting! She is going to have nothing but a bed and dresser if she doesn't start keeping her room clean!! I'm at my wits' end with her!!

Charmedmommy82

Answer by Charmedmommy82 at 2:16 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• lol! i'm sorry but i tryed all of the above and nothing worked, until I went extreeeeeme! i actually looked up in the internet some images about dust mites and germs and i hose the nastier ones and i told my kids,(both boys) that that's who they were sharing their toys and bed with,and that every time they didnt pick up their mess they would multiply,it was magical ever since i dont have to yell or ground or get frustrated anymore. They r kids and they dont shine the floor or nothing like that but at least they can walk thru the room now. ;)
    nellibatel

Answer by nellibatel at 4:28 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Keep her door shut. But............if she refuses to clean her room she goes NO WHERE and NO ONE comes over. Take the TV and computer out of her room. Sometimes sticking to our guns is the hardest thing in the world as a parent. If you truly stuck to this and unless she has a mental disorder and doesnt like to leave the house or have friends over..........she will clean her room. YOU are the parent and YOU have to stick to the game plan.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 6:40 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• The only mental disorder she has is uncleanliness. She prefers to play by herself or with her brother. Beleive me, her door remains shut and she has no TV or computer in her room. Those are things she does with the family. She is a good student and fairly well behaved so I guess I should just appreciate those aspects.
    Adria71

Answer by Adria71 at 8:00 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• sounds like you pretty much tried everything harsh.now try a more positive approach.if she keeps a clean room for a week she gets a reward.children at that age respond better to something positive.every morning or toward the end of the day pick a time she has to pick up.if she doese it for 7 straight days then you give her something.rent a movie she picks,money,a trip to the store with a money limit ect; or even ask her what she would what the reward to be.good luck
    ALLSPORTMOM

Answer by ALLSPORTMOM at 8:11 PM on Dec. 23, 2008