Are you giving more to Charities this year? Less? Or about the same as previous years?

Charities that distribute toys to children during the holidays are struggling with lagging donations even as more families need help putting gifts under the Christmas tree.

Are you doing anything different this year? Possibly needing help with your kids Christmas as opposed to providing the help? Please feel free to answer Anon, this article had me wondering about the Cafe Mom community.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-12-17-toydrives_N.htm

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:34 AM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• We are doing about the same as in previous years. I make some food donations to a food bank (they put an article in the paper once a week letting everyone know what they need most desperately) and then I call the womens shelter and ask them what they need most and pick up some of that. We also go with my daughter's sister and her mom to do some deliveries for meals on wheels over the holidays when the demand is higher.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:51 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• We donated a bit more than last year which added up to alot in total.
    Mummytomore

Answer by Mummytomore at 9:04 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• A lot more. Since we have some to give, now is a crucial time. We aren't exchanging presents this year. It's all going to charity.
    Although, since this is a global economy, We're giving to a variety of charities here and around the world. Americans certainly aren't the only ones suffering. Toys for Tots is noble but children are dying of dehydration in Africa. I wish we could treat all humans like our family and help them despite where they live.
    Sorry, I went off there. I was just expecting someone to start in with the bashing for my not supporting Americans before anyone else.
    Ghostfacebreeda

Answer by Ghostfacebreeda at 9:30 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• We are giving more. Our family was given a challenge earlier in the year and we were blessed with a wonderful community and great support. So, I think that helped in "paying it forward" much more than last year.
    myame

Answer by myame at 9:43 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• about the same.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:31 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• More. We had a good year, I feel like we should.
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 11:39 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• More
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:10 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Ghostfacebreeda ..... No one should bash you we should help all around the world we are not the only ones suffering they really have alot less than we do.
    4kids1970

Answer by 4kids1970 at 1:04 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• about the same
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 2:17 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• More. Unfortunatly due to the fact that my son died in Iraq last year.I donate to the troops, to
    Hospitalized & Disabled Vets, AdoptaPlatoon,etc. I figured my son could've been one of those men who need so much,after the government forgets about them.God Bless the troops who keep us safe. May they all come home and be taken care of.
    goldstarmom

Answer by goldstarmom at 3:36 PM on Dec. 18, 2008