Do you live in one of the possible Obama Boomtowns?

As part of his plan to revive a flailing economy, President-elect Barack Obama recently pledged to "Create millions of jobs by making the single largest new investment in our national infrastructure since the creation of the federal highway system in the 1950s."
His plan would include potentially hundreds of billions of dollars for infrastructure projects. And while economists debate whether this is the most effective form of fiscal stimulus, the mayors of the nation's cities line up at the trough. Schools, roads, rails, pipes and airports? Can we have some more, sir?
1. Miami, Fla.
Projects: $3.4 billion
2. Sacramento, Calif.
Projects: $2.8 billion
3. Philadelphia, Pa.
Projects: $2.6 billion
4. Los Angeles, Calif.
Projects: $2.4 billion
5. Albuquerque, N.M.
Projects: $2.3 billion
http://www.forbes.com/2008/12/15/economy-stimulus-obama-biz-beltway-cx_jz_1215stimulus_slide_2.html?partner=yahoo

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:39 AM on Dec. 18, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• No but he can add Portland, Oregon to the list. People already move here in droves. Crowding our schools, Using our state resources without a job lined up. So if he wants to bring the Government business and the funding to go along with them, I would be all for it. I am hoping the wind power bill goes through. We have alot of land and or in a wind tunnel in the eastern part of our state.

Why are you posting Anonymous btw? If you have something to say stand on a soap box and say it loud, otherwise your opinion really has no merit.
    CelticFaerie

Answer by CelticFaerie at 9:15 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• we live in the rust belt (ne ohio) and our largest employer locally is GM, which just laid off about a thousand people. So no, we don't expect to see any help from any branch of the government.
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 9:32 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Haaaa, no. I live near Charlotte, one of the banking capitols of the country.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:39 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Yea, we are in NW Ohio. And , NOPE.. No "boom" for us.. Other that the "boom" sound from our cities budget bursting!
    myame

Answer by myame at 9:40 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• And who do you think is going to pay for all this "government money"? Government HAS no money but that which it takes from the people!!!!!!! I already know 2 small businesses laying people off in anticipation of Obama's tax plan.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Personally, I think it is a good idea. FDR made it work, and it worked well. Infrastructure will always be needed, to create jobs to achieve it rather than bail outs seems much more intelligent use of the money.
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 11:37 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• no, but i think its a good idea. like a pp said FDR did it & it helped...but it really was WWII that got us outta the depression.

instead of helping out the big cities why dont they work on the places that lost all the jobs? Ohio, Pennsylvania, Detroit (i guess cause of the Bailout they wont help), & others.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:57 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• No I don't live in a proposed Boomtown. But I just found out my city is asking for a piece of the Automaker Bailout "pie"... grrrrrrr
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:09 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Nope.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:50 PM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Funny, those cities are not ones that come to mind when I think of a place that needs an economic boom. Miami FL, Los Angeles CA, you've got to be kidding me. Some of the richest people in the US live in these areas. What about the small rural areas where their only source of work is a factory that is shutting down putting the entire community on the unemployment list? I would think places like that would need jobs since there is literally NO jobs available unless you drive for 3 hours to get to another larger city. That is a joke in my eyes.
    amyrw

Answer by amyrw at 10:19 PM on Dec. 18, 2008